anti sieze

built

Dragway Regular
Apr 15, 2005
ohio
I have a long wheel studs and the lugs seem to gall on the studs and one broke off also, I noticed on jegs web site that they sell ant sieze on the same page as the wheel studs, should this be used to lube and keep the studs from breaking off or getting too hot or galling ?

what about plain oil ?

shaggydjlg

Amateur Racer
Dec 31, 2007
Hersey,Mich
u should always use anti sieze on lugs it keeps them from snapping when u tighten them and or loosen them up. You should also torque lugs to a recommend torque otherwise u will get what happened to me today!! I was driving south bound when a north bound truck lost his wheel and hit me dead center and totaled my truck out!!! It was like hitting a brick wall !!!
NEVER use oil or grease they are a lubricant (anti sieze is not)and lugs will loosen up just from the heat from break friction and cause u to loose a tire

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
Start out with a very small amount if anti seize is used.

There is a thread on here about lubricating lugnuts/studs, most said not to because of inaccurate torque readings and so on along with what is mentioned above. 8)

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
If you don't have a choice, use SMALL amounts of anti seize if needed.

If you can't run lug nuts on or off by hand until they need torqued then something is wrong......right? Or is aftermarket studs and nuts supposed to be difficult?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
NEVER use any lube on wheel lugs. It gives a false torque reading that's much lower than the actual value. This causes overstressed lugs & can cause lug failure. It's a really good way to lose a wheel.

There was a long forum about it, but I can't seem to find it in the search.
Tommy

built

Dragway Regular
Apr 15, 2005
ohio
So tommy like shaggy said is anti sieze not a lube and be ok to use then ?

Why would jegs and summit sell the anti sieze next to their wheel studs, is anti sieze for the face of the drum or rotor and not meant for the lug studs?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
built said:
So tommy like shaggy said is anti sieze not a lube and be ok to use then ?

Why would jegs and summit sell the anti sieze next to their wheel studs, is anti sieze for the face of the drum or rotor and not meant for the lug studs?

Don't put anything on the studs. Jegs & Summit are in business to sell parts, not to figure out for you what's right or wrong. They also recommend Redline synthetic gear oil for Eaton & Auburn differetials that specifically call for non-synthetic oil...

Tommy

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
I always use anti sieze on my 1/2 inch studs... I have broke many due to the chrome on the open end lugnuts galling and then the lugnuts freezes and then you have to break the stud to get it off... it solved my problem... I have had it happen on 2 different cars and on my malibu I put my wheels and studs in and the next day I tried to pull the wheel off and broke the brand new stud...

Chris K.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts