anyone running an electronic speedo?

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
i want to get a new auto meter electronic speedo, cuz my original speedo cable is cut. what's involved in installing one of these? do i need a speedo cable? i have a th400, if it matters.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You would need a reluctor ring and a speed sensor similar to what you'd see on a late model RWD car or truck (700R4/4L60/E for example, late 80s+ ). I'd imagine they have the stuff to retrofit it to a 400, but you'd have to pull the tailshaft housing off to put the ring on.

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
yeah, i got no problem pulling the t-shaft housing, cuz i wanna do a fluid change anyway. i've been looking at the auto meter speedos, and they sell a sensor separately. are you sure that's not all i need?

82elcamino

Dragway Regular
Oct 22, 2003
Orlando, Florida
if you buy the autometer electronic stuff, it bolts right on. and all you need is power to the sender and run a signal wire to your autometer guage.

simple. but pricey. no need to change anything in your transmission. its programmable to any gearing you have in your transmission.

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
i think i can handle that! thanx, fellas! when you buy the gauge, does it say how to calibrate it?

Phantom

Pro Stocker
Oct 9, 2004
DeSoto Wi
I have a 5 inch auto meter speedo it dosen't require you to pull the tail shaftjust screw the sensor on were the speedo cable goes and do some wiring. As for calabration you mark out an area on the road with a car the has an accurate sppdo and punch the needle run the two miles stop at the line and set the needle agian simple and it works. Pretty simple I really like mine.
not a really good picture but you gett he idea

82elcamino

Dragway Regular
Oct 22, 2003
Orlando, Florida
i second that calibration story. good luck. and make sure you dont lose the pass thru needle that comes with the sender . i made that mistake once....oops

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts