are factory clocks hopeless?

A

Anonymous

Since my ride came with the clock and I am mounting my tach on the side of the dash, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to spark some life back into my factory clock?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
These guys do good work, if you don't mind paying to get your clock fixed. They also offer a DIY kit.:
http://clocksandgauges.com/index.html

Tommy

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
I've wondered about this too. I know they sell clock motors for do it yourselfers that make clocks (my Grandfather was a furniture maker and used the generic motors in his). Could you just get one of these and modify the factory clock to use it? I've never dissasembled a dash clock so just thinking outloud.

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
El Coolmino said:
They're not really needed with modern stereos & cell phones, so personally don't see the point in fixing one, unless you're talking a super old car.
I don't know, I think they look pretty cool.

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
According to the factory manual, it is recommended that people clean their clocks about every two years. lol Crazy but true! I took a quartz clock out of a mid 80's Monte and put it in my '78 Monte and after only cleaning the gears and lightly lubricating them with 3in1 oil, it has worked for the past 6 years with no problems. There's no trick to them-just keep them cleaned and oiled and they should last for a long time! -Jabin

85_SS

Dragway Regular
Aug 13, 2004
www.cardomain.com
gmachinz said:
According to the factory manual, it is recommended that people clean their clocks about every two years. lol Crazy but true! I took a quartz clock out of a mid 80's Monte and put it in my '78 Monte and after only cleaning the gears and lightly lubricating them with 3in1 oil, it has worked for the past 6 years with no problems. There's no trick to them-just keep them cleaned and oiled and they should last for a long time! -Jabin

Something I have never bothered with or thought of, even though I have had the dash apart dozens of times for various reasons - I will have to remember this next time.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Mine still works, too. At least it did when the car came oof the road...

Tommy

v8liveson

Amateur Racer
clock

My clock works too, but the adjustment shaft must be broke, because I can't reset the clock. The shaft turns, but nothing happens.

I guess I'll have to wait till EXACTLY the right time, then quick hook up the battery...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts