Astro Van drive shaft

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
Here is something for you guys to think about. I have a GN 8.5 and I broke the stock type 3R u joint in the rear and wiped out the yoke on the rear end. So I bought a Strange 1350 yoke. I went out scouring the boneyard and guess what? The shaft from the Astro uses a 3R u joint at the transmission and a 1350 at the rear end. It is around 1" shorter than my previous shaft, so I got a "long" slip yoke for my transmission, and now I can use a readily available junkyard drive shaft. The slip yoke had to be shortened a little, but that is no problem with a chop saw, band saw, or sawzall.

Combo is SBC, short tail TH400, and GN 8.5" rear, all in stock locations, with the Jegster bolt in crossmember.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I don't know much about that drive shaft, but I don't know if I'd trust a stocker shaft for racing...

Tommy

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
Preacher said:
Alum or steel? So you have it in, using it? No problems?
Steel. None as of yet, but I ran a shortened S10 driveshaft for a LONG time. I would still be running it had I not broken that U joint and ruined the shaft. They are not the 3" small shaft that G bodys come with. They are 3" for a few inches on the ends, and the majority of the shaft is 3.5".

LS6 Tommy said:
I don't know much about that drive shaft, but I don't know if I'd trust a stocker shaft for racing...

Tommy
I'm sure it's not the best idea, but until I twist it into a pretzel, I will be running it. I just wanted to point out a readily available shaft that with a little thought could be used in a G body.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts