bad vibration

81malibu355

Amateur Racer
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, NJ
hey guys i just bought my first malibu. 1981 2dr. i hope im posting this in the right forum. when i get on the car, it starts to vibrate really bad. the dude i bought the car from said the driveshaft is about 1 1/2 inches too short. could this be the problem causing the vibration? if not, does anyone know what it could be?

also, the th350 trans thats in it, wont shift into third gear. even at 4k rpm's it wont shift into third. does anyone know what could be the problem on that issue as well? thanks in advance.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
Stuck governor? Does it shift OK from first to second normally...low RPM's?

Take the car out and find a secluded highway to wind it up and see if it will end up shifting into 3rd. :twisted:

Is the vibration a type that cycles in and out or a steady vibration? You may have to renew the tail shaft bushing also along with getting the proper length drive shaft.

NoMoore

Pro Stocker
May 26, 2006
Rochester, Pa
You want 3/4 to 1 inch of play in the driveshaft. You should be able to un bolt it from the rear and slide it forward that far. If it's 1 1/2 too short get ready to have a disaster.

Get under there and see what you got.

81malibu355

Amateur Racer
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, NJ
sorry guys havent looked at this post in a while....the driveshaft issue is no longer there. we put in a driveshaft thats about 2 inches longer and its perfect! thanks for all the input guys.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts