Benefits from longer rods on mild BBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
...I bet there is a good reason to why though, and i would love to know about it as i'm a sponge when it comes to engine tech :)

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
It's the rod length to stroke ratio......

On a stock 454, it's the 6.135" rod length divided by the 4.00" stroke, resulting in a 1.53:1 ratio, on a 3.760" stroke (396/427) the 6.135" rod yields a 1.63:1 ratio......

"Ideal" ratio is around 1.72:1, for the limitations we're working with, according to some engine builders.

If the pin is high enough in the piston, "rocking" is almost a non-issue, allowing a shorter skirt....less weight, less friction.

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
I know how to calculate rod/stroke ratio.....but have never heard or read anything about an ideal r/s ratio. Very interesting!

I found pistons with 1,270 comp height, but that's a negative .005" and i don't like pistons poking up through the bores. Seems impossible to find any budget pistons around 1,260" height so i think i will use stock length rods and live with it :cry:
I could use .250 longer rods, but to me that's just too short of an increase to be worth it.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
Depending on how mild the combination is, I wouldnt think that you would see much of a benefit. If "mild" to you is 600 hp and big rpm then yeah a longer rod would be better. There are alot of options out there for a BBC.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Not to be argumentative, but Chevrolet must have thought that there is some benefit to a longer rod in a production engine, since after 40+ years of 5.7" rods the newer smallblocks have 5.94" rods.....lots of tooling got done for "no benefit".

I doubt it was because they just have extra material laying around they needed to get rid of.

A

Anonymous

maybe the rods are longer because the new deck height is 9.240 on a LS style engine. 8)

A

Anonymous

Bigtime said:
maybe the rods are longer because the new deck height is 9.240 on a LS style engine. 8)

Ok then, why did they use a taller deck height?

A

Anonymous

ChrisIDV said:
Bigtime said:

Ok then, why did they use a taller deck height?
because they changed the head design i would guess.

Were not going to start another rod thread. I still stick with "get your crank, design your piston, connect the two together". There is no secret horspower to be found here as its a combination that makes power not a connecting rod.

A

Anonymous

I always thought the connecting rod was part of the combination? I don't see what head design has to do with deck height.

A

Anonymous

ChrisIDV said:
I always thought the connecting rod was part of the combination? I don't see what head design has to do with deck height.

I guess it is because it holds the two together but on this level it really doesn't matter.

The head/port/chamber design has to do with rod length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!