Best battery

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
I run a Yellow Top Optima myself... and no alt. The most passes I have made at one event was 6, all with no problems and no charging between rounds. In addition, I start it up to drive it over to the tech station, start it to drive it back to the trailer, start it in the staging lanes, start it up at that end of the night to put it on the trailer, and start it to test-run the engine the next day I am going to race (approx. 18-20 times per charge) ....all on the same previous charge. I then pull the batt. and charge it before actually going out to the track. I have an MSD ignition (6AL) that (per the advertisment) will run full voltage with the battery down as far as 9.5 volts. I run an electric water pump and fuel pump, as well a one taillight. No problems so far. Sooner or later I will probably have to break down and buy a generator to charge the batt. between rounds. This is more expensive than an alternator. I just like the clean look afforded by having no belts or brackets on the front of the engine. Just my opinion.......at least right now. My thinking is....."If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Jay

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
Not trying to argue but if the batt. only has 9 volts then thats all the ignition is getting. Spark could be weak but still fire. The 6AL may not draw like a 7 series. My experience with elec. water pump, fans, delay box, 3 step, 7 series, 14 to 1 comp. etc. did not far well so I put an alt. on it and never looked back.

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
I love opinions. That's how we learn new ideas. In regards to the alt., believe me, your not the only person to tell me that. My lack of experience, not to mention hating to do things twice, is probably what drives me in this direction. Seems like after I hear all of the positive things about no alt., the final statement is "now after having said all that, run an alternator". Sooner or later, I will probably be coaxed to do the same.

Jay

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Robert1320 said:
Jay,

You should be more careful with whom you talk.
Alternator is a must.

No Alt I save 2 hp
No Alt I lose 20 hp from lack of ignition????????

Give that man a cigar! :lol:

Tommy

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
20HP!? I'm definitely going to look into this further then. Still don't like the idea of an alternator on the car, but I think I dislike the missing 20HP more. Can you run an alt. to a Yellow Top Optima? I have to charge mine using a deep cycle charger now.

Jay

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
Why do you have to use a deep cycle charger?

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
Look on the top of the Yellow Top Optima. It says "Deep Cycle/Starting Battery". I even called the Optima helpline because I was confused about what setting to put my charger on (it was not clear in the literature I recieved with the battery). The guy told me "deep cycle" mode. If he was wrong, its been working fine anyway. Fully charges in that mode in about 4 hours (at 2 amps) after a full night of racing. So, am I to assume by these responses that you CAN run a standard alternator to this type of battery?

Jay

A

Anonymous

In the booklet that comes with the Optima Batteries, it states to use a yellow top in a race car type electrical system. But I dont think it says anything bout the alt.

I have ran two red tops and had to replace them both. I switched to a Yellow top but it hasnt been long enough to tell. It never feels weak whether I charge it between rounds or not. I run elec water and fuel pumps, Mallory ign box, two electric fans, and an electric shifter. I do run a crappy auto zone alt for a 79 Caprice.

The warranty for the red is 3 years and for the yellow is one.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts