Best retailer in the USA to pick up a Crate motor?

A

Anonymous

Id prefer Central-West US if at all possible

I think Ive decided over the past few weeks against building a motor.

For the time and money it would take me to build a 400hp motor it makes zero sense. Not to mention the fact that it may not be done perfectly and I could end up wasting a lot of money on parts.

So ive been searching around on Summit, Jegs and PACE performance websites and came across the 385 fastburn motor with the zz4 block..I dont need a turn key but if the price is right I will buy it and save my existing parts for another project.

A bunch of different places have it but where can I score one for a better price?
Freight from Ohio was only around 250 bucks so it wasnt to bad.

If anyone has any better ideas for a crate motor let me know as this is the
first motor Ive actually purchased from a large retailer.

Thanks

crd89stang

Dragway Regular
Jun 19, 2005
attleboro ma
have a local machine shop build you one. If you have a problem or need advice what do you think a crate motor company can do for you. Why do you want a one size fits all motor.

A

Anonymous

Im in a unique situation, the nearest engine builder is 5 hours away.

As far as Im concerned, power is basically all that matters.

A "one size fits all" kinda deal would explain every 350 ever built, would it not?

I dont buy anything from an engine shop unless I know and trust the guys, theres way to many guys out there that claim to be good.

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
Figure who ever does the most volume would offer the best price. I think that would be Scroggin Dickie down in Texas. And since they sell a lot, they may have a great shipping deal too. (just like Jeg, Summit, and others) Another thought. If there is a oval track series near you that mandates "crate" style engines, they usually have one or two shops as "prefered" builders. Might be worth looking into.

crd89stang

Dragway Regular
Jun 19, 2005
attleboro ma
i ended up getting a customer thanks to scogin dickey. They put their new bbc crate motor in and water was pissing out between cylinder head and block they told him to take whole motor out and send it back to them on his dime if they find a problem they will fix it. They also told him that they have been having trouble with the edelbrock heads sealing. While last time i checked it was up to the builder to check the deck surface before installing the head. I have alot of experience with edelbrock heads and would never bolt one on without milling them. Maybe try cnc or another builder that will ship you a "crate motor". And no all sbc are not one size fits all. One cam doesnt fit every situation.

8secChevy

Amateur Racer
Jun 28, 2008
Williamstown, NJ
I have nothing but good things to say about Shafiroff racing. I purchased one of there 540's back in 03. They answered every stupid question I had were very helpful and profesional. They arent just one size fits all either , they ask wieght,gear ratio ,trans, tire size and intended purpose, etc. to determine cam, compression and so on. They give a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty on pump gas street engines and free shipping in the lower 48. I had not one problem and only just had it gone through just recently to change pistons and cam for a Procharger I insatlled. I did have a local builder do that work for me only because I did not want to crate up the motor or drive to New York for Shaffirof to do it. They were competive price wise with the local guys as well and they were going to ship it back to me for free as long as I got it to them.

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
find a local guy,nothing suck more than buying a crated heavy part and
when something goes wrong the seller says "send it back,we'll check it out" on your dime

79malibusbc

Dragway Regular
Aug 21, 2007
old bridge new jersey
http://www.dougherbert.com/383chevysbstroker400hp-p-25797.html?cPath=614_615_748

http://www.dougherbert.com/383chevybudgetstroker-p-26148.html?cPath=614_615_748

check those out i'm not saying their the best but i have herd good things about them and those motors make the same power as the gm fastburn 385 and are cheeper jmo

MonteMike79

Pro Stocker
Nov 7, 2003
Erie, PA
I know it's not central or western but pace performance does a lot of GM stuff, if that's what you'r elooking for, they may have a deal on shipping, they are located in ohio. I had a GM 350 / 330hp crate motor in my car a few yrs ago and didn't have any problems with it at all, that motor took some abuse also and ran great.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts