Better 60's with a t-brake???

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
Hey guys, just curious to see if ya'll think my converter and transmission is holding me back! Right now I have 10" 3400 BTE converter in a TH350. The car is a 1981 Malibu with a 357SBC. 10-5.1 compression, 248/252 solid flat tappet cam, 200cc heads with a little port work, Victor Jr., 4.11 gears, and all steel with aluminum wheels so its heavy. The fastest 60' I was able to cut was a 1.73. I would like to see the car cut something near a 1.60 this year. I'm considering puchasing an aftermarket TH350 transmission with a full manual reverse valve body and a t-brake. The car does see street time on the weekends but no highway time or anything like that. I'm running 275/60 MT drag radials and right now I footbrake the car to about 1200 rpm's and mash from there. This is where I've cut my fastest 60's. I've tried everything from launching at idle to launching at 2700 rpm's while footbraking but I can't cut crap. I really think if I had a t-brake and the car launched around 3500 rpm's it would fly but I want your opinions first!! I am switching to a 700 double pumper from a 750 vacuum secondary carb Ive been running for years and I hear that should help my 60's as well. The rear is a 9" and I just a $$$ bulletproof driveshaft built for it too, so everything should handle a brake. Let me know what you think!!! Thanks!! Later on, Nick.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
I was having the same problem. Last year the best I could do was 1.7's. Basically all I did was went from a 3k to 3500 stall,took off my front sway bar and put an air bag in my right rear spring, bought a good tire gauge and put 16 psi in my d/r's, dropped my 60 ft to 1.60's.

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
A t-brake will improve your 60's if you keep traction, but from the sound of your setup, I think you should be able to do a bit better without having to go to a t-brake. Are you hooking solid, or are you coming out soft?

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
Tranbrakes don't necessarily make your car 60' harder. I've had cars way faster on the brake, but a couple that were as quick or quicker footbraking. If you're pro tree racing, then you need a brake. If you're super pro racing, you need a brake. If you just want to go fast and have fun. A brake isn't necessary, especially in a TH350. Either a TH400 or a glide if you just think you need a brake.

I can't see you're car getting much under low 1.6's with your engine/gear/convertor. More gear, 8" convertor, and you could get it under 1.60's, but would lose streetability. Just spray it.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
It's all about the converter in my opinion. My car 60 fts. 1.40 on the brake. My son has made some passes in it footbraking it and has 60 footed 1.40-1.42. Like Hitman said, it depends on what kind of racing you're doing. i think you can cut a better light off a brake than the foot, but that's just my opinion because I know some guys that have deadly reaction times footbraking. Lee

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
I will admit that I haven't had the best of traction when I got to the track last year. However, when I ran the 1.73 it hooked. I've adjusted my tire pressure and played with the pressure in the air bags I have as well. How big of a converter would you guys run if you were me?? I like the idea of a 4500 stall myself. Thanks for the information guys! Later on, Nick.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Nick
I think you have already heard that a trans brake won't help much, quite honestly you are not too far off from where you should be which is 1.68 - you are probably hitting the 1/8 @ 8.00. You can probably pick that up w/ carb tuning. I would spend my efforts in the HP department. You are close to my combo but your MPH tells me there is more there.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
1BAD81BU said:
Hey guys, just curious to see if ya'll think my converter and transmission is holding me back! Right now I have 10" 3400 BTE converter in a TH350. The car is a 1981 Malibu with a 357SBC. 10-5.1 compression, 248/252 solid flat tappet cam, 200cc heads with a little port work, Victor Jr., 4.11 gears, and all steel with aluminum wheels so its heavy. The fastest 60' I was able to cut was a 1.73. I would like to see the car cut something near a 1.60 this year. I'm considering puchasing an aftermarket TH350 transmission with a full manual reverse valve body and a t-brake. The car does see street time on the weekends but no highway time or anything like that. I'm running 275/60 MT drag radials and right now I footbrake the car to about 1200 rpm's and mash from there. This is where I've cut my fastest 60's. I've tried everything from launching at idle to launching at 2700 rpm's while footbraking but I can't cut crap. I really think if I had a t-brake and the car launched around 3500 rpm's it would fly but I want your opinions first!! I am switching to a 700 double pumper from a 750 vacuum secondary carb Ive been running for years and I hear that should help my 60's as well. The rear is a 9" and I just a $$$ bulletproof driveshaft built for it too, so everything should handle a brake. Let me know what you think!!! Thanks!! Later on, Nick.

When are you going the the track next and which track?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!