Big meats no frame notch, just lip roll!!

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
Not

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
I put this up to maybe help some people who keep asking what size tire can you fit on a Malibu that is it. As far as wide verses taller this has been talked about many times before. Here and many other sites. I am not going on-and on about it.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Ok....we will stop now...I still like your car, lasttime \:D/

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I would have to agree with lasttime78. I run 295/50/15s on the back of my 81 Malibu and 245/60/15s on my other toys, I like a 26.5 to a 27 inch tires on the rear and 26 on the front. Most of the cars around here run 295/50/15s. Ive heard in a slick you are better off with a tall narrow tire then a short fat tire, But a street tire is what works for you. What we need to realize is everyone has there own opinion in stead of dumping on some one opinion just post yours.
Ok which is better/faster big or small block, 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust, X-pipe H-pipe or steel rims or aluminum rims. you get the idea.

Doug

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
lasttime78 said:
The width of the tire only determines the shape of the contact patch - long (from fr to rear) and narrow, or short and wide. the wider the tire, the wider and shorter the contact patch (but overall area remains constant). The physics are the same. Moving a certain amount of weight with x-high, and x-wide of a tire...thats why they just make them really wide to get the better contact patch

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't arguing with you about the rim size. I said I thought they looked pinched. An 8.5" rim isn't bad at all for that tire size.

As for the physics for tire patch size, even though it would seem to be irrelevant, there is more to it than just square inches. How the patch is oriented to vehicle travel does make a difference. A taller tire gives a wider contact patch front to rear, which is what you want for forward acceleration traction. A wider tire gives a wider contact patch left-to-right, which is what you want for lateral traction.

A tire 40" wide and 5" high is going to offer very little traction for a drag race, but great traction for a skid pad trials & vice-versa. A tire 40" high & 5" wide is going to have very little skid pad traction, but really good off the line traction.

That's partially why top fuel cars run 36" h /17"w -16" and Formula One cars run a 660mm x380mm, or 25.9" h x 14.9" w. The sizes aren't what matters, it's the aspect ratio that matters. The TF tires are a LOT taller than they are wide when compared to the F1 tires. One is for forward traction, one is for lateral traction.

Either way, I'm not trying to argue with you nor am I saying there's anything wrong with your setup. As you said, you're just putting the info up so others can benefit. I'm totally on board with that & your car looks great.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts