brake bleeding

stafford

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2007
Tuttle Oklahoma
I have replaced both front caliper, and put a new manual brake master cly. on my 79bu. It started out with power brakes, I also replaced the complete rearend that I bought also. So basically the whole systems was open.
So I go to bleeding the brake system out, It all seems to be going fine, until I start the car on the jack stands and put it in gear, NO rear brakes at all, it will not stop the tires from rotating at all. I spin the fronts by hand and they seem to stop on a dime. there is a lot of pressure in the front calipers.
Now I try and bleed the rear out again, this time everytime the pedal is pumped and held, I bleed the fluid out, and the pedal sticks all the way down. pull it back up with your foot, pump it up again, bleed it out, pedal sticks. I tried this on the front and it returns just fine
WHY NO REAR BRAKE? AND WHY DOES THE PEDAL STICK WHEN BLEEDING THE BACK?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I don't have an answer to why the pedal is sticking, but have you tried running a hose from the bleeder to a bowl or (clean) pop bottle with fluid in it? This is how I've bled my brakes for years, without any problems, you still need to keep an eye on your fluid level like you typically would though. I've also read that for some reason it's better if you bleed starting with the furthest cylinder/caliper from the cylinder (RR, LR, RF, LF). I believe that was Car Craft.

stafford

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2007
Tuttle Oklahoma
I bleed them in the same order you have listed, I am question on how good I bleed out the master cyl. I am going to get somemore brake fluid and attempted it again. I have done this a few times before with no problem, but I guess we are all do to have problems from time to time.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm not sure if this is good practice, but what I've done (& felt results) is I make sure the fluid is almost topped off, then remove the reservoir lid and SLOWLY press the brake pedal to the floor a few times. Since the holes in the cylinder are always under the fluid, it can't pull any air back in. I accidentally bled my rear reservoir dry once, wasn't fun :?

stafford

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2007
Tuttle Oklahoma
I figured out what was wrong, I was retarded the day I mounted my brake pushrod to the pedal. the bolt was hitting the frame of the brake pedal and it would not let the pedal go all the way done.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts