brake line install question

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
OK. I have everything I need to do my brake system front to rear. My question is how the heck do you replace the line that goes from the valve along the frame to the rear rubber line ? It looks like the only way to get it in there is to have the body off the frame. Am I missing something simple ?? The way it turns by the last crossmember looks like its impossible to just snake it up there. I wanted to take the factory fuel line out and clean it up but that looks just as hard. Has anybody out there done this already ? The other thing that Im not sure about is the guy that built the car left the vent line for the tank in place an stuck what looks like a PCV valve on the end. Is there a better fix than that ?? Thanks !

A

Anonymous

You can get the line in there. I did mine with the body on. It just takes time and patience. Get the back into position first. As far as the vent line, leave it or take it completely off.

DV8

Amateur Racer
Nov 14, 2005
Bucyrus Ohio
I just did one 2 nights ago...... it looks rather daunting, but isn't QUITE as hard as it looks. Just almost. :lol:

There is a tube clamp for the fuel/brake in a couple of places, these generally come out pretty easy even on rust buckets. Then pry from the bolt hole outward to "unfold" these and release the lines. There is one within 12" of the rear fitting of the steel line and another about 18" after that one. The rest you should be able to see easily.

Take the old line out without making a huge mess of it (try to keep the bends so you can duplicate them, if you are using plain parts store line) If you are using prebent line then just yank the old stuff out saving the clamps.

Bend your new piece to match the old and weasel it back in. I had to pull the e-brake lines down to fit it back in there, but that's easy. Total cost was $12 for a section of 44" line and a 32" with a union to join them. (iirc)

This is a lot easier if you have a nice smooth surface for your creeper and 4 good jackstands...and use your safety glasses so you don't have to stop as often to pick the rust flakes out of your eyes. :oops:

Good luck!

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Ive got the car a good 2' off of the garage floor on stands. Im taking the rear out at the same time so that might make it a little easier to get up in there. The gas tank is down too. It just looks like its going to be a bear to get the lines back up in there. I already have almost all of the clamps unbolted on both sides already. The line for the brakes we had to cut so there is no question about replacing it. I hate doing this crap ! I have to find a different hobby.....

Mistah

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2005
Maui, Hawaii
www.mistahrecords.com
Hey Mike how you doing on yours? Last night I took the old prop valve out and got the bolts and clamps off. I rounded the OEM rubber hose nut on the bulkhead fitting and got out the cut off wheel. Done deal. What now? I can yank the old line out pretty easy I'm sure, but replacing it with new line with all those bends.........how's yours coming along? Which end you starting with first? I appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Mistah

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I wish I could say that I was finished with the whole job, but you sound like youre closer than I am to being finished. I spent Sun dropping the old rear out of the car and getting rid of all the old suspension parts. Tonight I'll be out there finishing the cleanup of all the floors and frame rails. Ive been scraping all of the old original undercoating off the bottom of the car and have been spraying it all over again with 3M Body Schutz. I masked the floor at the seam where it joins the firewall and sprayed from there back. It looks pretty good being all even. I also did the inside of the frame rails with it. After thats done I can start putting the lines back in. I hope by the weekend. I got a full SS line set from Inline Tube. It kinda sucks because the lines for the rear wont fit the new Moser 12 bolt. I think I'll have to get a different length hose from the rear to the frame too. The only line that Im really concerned about getting in is the one thats at the rear. If you get yours done before me you can let me know how to do it !! I can tell you I think its going to be MUCH easier with the rear, arms and gas tank out of there !

Mistah

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2005
Maui, Hawaii
www.mistahrecords.com
Yeah buddy! That's rhe first thing I did.....remove the 9", control arms, springs and shocks. Lots of room to go about routing new lines. Also making new lines across the rear, trying to make'em tight and neat. Stooped shocks interfere with braided line 90* elbow. May drill a new hole on the LCA brackets and relocate to clear. Started on monday night, trying to finish by sunday but haven't located the good tubing bender yet. Nothing but comercial interuptions! I want to get it on the ground so I can put the motor and trans back in and continue on my "to do" list in order to road test by the third week of July. I'll keep in touch and let you know what happens.

Thanks!

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Man this is a PITA job ! Days. Not hours, days under the car scraping the old undercoating. Ive just been trying to clean up what the previous owner did. It kinda looks like he did a quick undercoat job on a frame that still had dirt and road grime on it. Dont get me wrong, it really did look OK but since I had everything apart I thought I would take the underside to the next level doing every thing I could without taking the body off the frame. I know doing a couple of coats of Body Schutz isnt up to a lot of peoples standards but it did just what I needed it to do. It evened out the look of the bottom of the car and in a week it will be 100% cured and I can move to the next part of the car. I just finished the back so Im going to start on the brake lines this weekend. It took 5 qts of Schutz to do most of the car in 2 coats. I still run into spots that I missed when Im crawling around under there with a light. The thing that I forgot to do was put a tarp down on my garage floor before I started. That old undercoating is all over the place and it sticks to everything. I should have remembered this because I did the same thing to a 72 Nova SS that I built in 1990. At this point I dont think I'll ever be doing another project again so when its done I might strip all of the paint off and do the floor with an epoxy. One last thing... wearing a tyvek suit in the summer is a real stupid thing to do !!!

Mistah

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2005
Maui, Hawaii
www.mistahrecords.com
Mike you there man?
I'm dead bra. The car is NOT on the ground yet. My otherwise clean shop is an absolute construction zone. My wife and I have been thrashing 8-10 hour days after work for the last two weeks in order to get her back together so we can work out the bugs and dial it in at our next race in two weeks. Our track only runs once a month, so it'll be the only time I get to flog it before the shootout race in mid August. It's street legal so some Banzai runs are in order. Since I can't see too well anymore,(Lost an eye to diabetes) the wife is filling in alot learning how to weld. I show her what to do and she does it. Really cool. I called my buddy over yesterday (Certified Welder) and they both were getting busy reinforcing the frame, the upper and lower control arm boxes/bulkhead mounts. She loves it! My buddy says she's a quick learner, and wishes his wife was like her! Lots to do. We'll be working on it everyday til she's done. Congratulations on your progress. It's really cool to know somewhere across the pond someone is working hard on thier Malibu project just like me. When I get tired and grab something cool to drink, I think of you and your project, and quickly get back to work. Thanks man. Supe, thank You too..............
GET'N HER DONE!!!

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
A little motivation is all it takes ;)

Don't thank me, thank everyone else on the boards! Can't wait until you git'r dun!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts