can any 1 help me find out about my rear end

macc1979bu

Feb 20, 2010
im tryin to find out what gear is in my stock 79 malibu i want to make it posi but i need to find out how many teeth is on the spine i know jegs have a richmond mini spool that will give me posi traction when i put torque on the tires any ideas that will not break the bank

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
They would be 26 spline. If you can swing it dont bother with the 7.5, spend a bit more and get a 8.5, 12 bolt or 9 inch. you'll be much further ahead for more power down the road.

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
28 spline axles and carrier will help, but, its merely a crutch. Grand National axles and posi carrier from say '93-up F-body.

Lots of guys are also doing the 8.8 swap with a Fox body rear end.

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
You shouldn't use a mini spool or any type of spool on the street. They are dangerous. A Lock Right kit would be much better, safer and just as easy to install. If you can install it the Eaton Posi or Duragrip would be much better. It is harder to install one of these, but worth it. Read this and see what you think. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19773

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
big gear head said:
You shouldn't use a mini spool or any type of spool on the street. They are dangerous. A Lock Right kit would be much better, safer and just as easy to install. If you can install it the Eaton Posi or Duragrip would be much better. It is harder to install one of these, but worth it. Read this and see what you think. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19773

I have ran a full spool on the street for over 10 years now with not a problem one. You MUST put C-clip elemantors on or furd 9" housing ends. And change how you make turns. And those Loc-Right (and all like it) are just as dangerous, I had one in my daily driver truck and it ended up tearing up the carrier. And yes it was installed right. It was installed by someone with over 30yrs doing gear work, and he told me at the time it was a mistake to use it on the street where it was always locking and unlocking.

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
The reason that a spool is dangerous is that it breaks parts. It puts too much stress on parts when turning corners because there is NO slip at all when you turn. I have had customers break all of the studs off of their axle, I've had them break axles and I've seen wheels cracked by using a spool on the street. I've never seen any of this from using a locker on the street. I've had a Lock Right in my daily driver for 14 years and I've put 140,000 miles on it with no probllems. A locker will allow the wheels to turn at different speeds when you turn, so the stress is not there. I will no longer install a spool of any kons in a customer's car if it's going to be used on the street.

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
big gear head said:
The reason that a spool is dangerous is that it breaks parts. It puts too much stress on parts when turning corners because there is NO slip at all when you turn. I have had customers break all of the studs off of their axle, I've had them break axles and I've seen wheels cracked by using a spool on the street. I've never seen any of this from using a locker on the street. I've had a Lock Right in my daily driver for 14 years and I've put 140,000 miles on it with no probllems. A locker will allow the wheels to turn at different speeds when you turn, so the stress is not there. I will no longer install a spool of any kons in a customer's car if it's going to be used on the street.

Guess I am lucky then, I have over 30,000 street miles and close to 400 trips down the track on the rearend and spool in my camaro with no trouble at all. I have never once had any issues with any parts in my camaro's rearend, and I know of about 20 more people they same way.
The Loc-Rites (and others like it) are a waste of money every person I have ever talked to that had them, said if they had known before hand what junk they were, they would have never wasted the money on them. And around my part of the world, 90% of the ones that install gears will not install those type of lockers.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts