Caprice, caddy brake swap??

thrashin

Daily Driver
Mar 11, 2008
Evansville, IN.
Found a BIG old caddy and a Caprice 79' or 81', I forget. But they have 12" brakes up front. Can I use the : spindles, calipers, and rotors? Is there any thing else I need to grab like the master cyl. and lines? Upper A arms, or only after market A's?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
aftermarket uppers only with this swap.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Check out this link from the FAQ section, should answer all your questions.

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33085

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
The caddy's and impala's with 12" front rotors have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern. So your current wheels won't fit and your choice is limited. The 1LE rotors fit the b-body spindle but have the correct 5 on 4 3/4" pattern for your current wheels. Most people use the caprice calipers because they are larger than the malibu calipers and simply bolt on. If you want to use a different caliper your going to have to make a bracket and modify the b body spindle to make the caliper fit it. The Camaro's use a PBR caliper and are very hard to find and wont directly bolt to the b-body spindle anyways.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The B-body 12" caliper is more than adequate. It's the same one the GM pickups use.

Tommy

thrashin

Daily Driver
Mar 11, 2008
Evansville, IN.
So if I plan on dropping the car a couple of inches, do I still need to change the upper control arms? If so what are a good pair that won't break the bank?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
thrashin said:
So if I plan on dropping the car a couple of inches, do I still need to change the upper control arms? If so what are a good pair that won't break the bank?

if you plan on using th B-body spindles you have to use aftermarket upper A-arms designed for the B-body spindle swap. The camber will be WAYYY out if you don't & there's not enough adjustment with the stock uppers to get it back to normal. Global West & Hotchkiss both carru the ones you need. I'm not sure who else does.

Tommy

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
LS6 Tommy said:
thrashin said:

if you plan on using th B-body spindles you have to use aftermarket upper A-arms designed for the B-body spindle swap. The camber will be WAYYY out if you don't & there's not enough adjustment with the stock uppers to get it back to normal. Global West & Hotchkiss both carru the ones you need. I'm not sure who else does.

Tommy
spc performance does ~220 each and invinate adjustable

http://www.spcperformance.com/PROD_DIR/SPCPerf_PROD_SEARCH_DYN.cfm?cmd=Cam&cmd2=94330&cmd3=

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts