choke voltage - 4 volts?

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
my choke quit working on the 1980. the lead wire is only reading about 4 volts with the ignition switch 'on'.

What voltage reading are you guys getting on your cars' choke lead?

I found the wiring diagram in this forum... super helpful. I hope to get my reverse lights going and repair/get 12 volts to my choke wire this weekend.

Thanks in advance for your help!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You should have 12 VDC on every stock circuit. There's no ballast resistors on these cars...

Tommy

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
thanks guys. I plan to chase the choke wire back to its source and find why I'm not getting 12v.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Check the oil pressure switch. It feeds the choke heater. It may be a source of resistance, but not enough to make the oil/check engine light come on.

Tommy

malibu101

Frequent Racer
May 22, 2003
Walnutport PA
LS6 Tommy said:
Check the oil pressure switch. It feeds the choke heater. It may be a source of resistance, but not enough to make the oil/check engine light come on.

Tommy
Agreed.
I was going to ask...Are you checking the voltage with the engine running?
If the engine is not running (to close the oil pressure switch) your readings at the choke really don't mean too uch.

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
thanks guys. My Dad and I chased the problem to the oil pressure switch. Specifically, it's the plug for the switch... the fit is loose. With the car running, and holding the plug firmly onto the oil pressure switch, we get 12volts to the choke lead wire at the carburetor.

Again, thanks for all the help on this.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!