Cut-Out for Dash Speakers

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Hi,

Getting to the point of ordering a dash cap. Would like to order a cap for end speakers instead of the existing center speak set-up.

The question is, does anyone know that when I cut in the area of the area where the end speakers are located will I find a cavity underneath the dash pad, or will there just be sheet metal?

Thanks.

79Landau

Frequent Racer
Aug 28, 2005
Delhi Ontario,Canada
Was thinking of doing the same thing... would like to know too

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
hmmm poke your head under the end of the dash and see if there's a provision for them on either end?maybe?

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Suppose to answer my own question, the glove compartment door could be removed, and prehaps that would allow access to determine if provision for end speakers is present or not.

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
I'll check for you guys after work. I have my dash sitting in my dining room....

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
There is no metal under the dash. I have pulled plenty of dashes out of these cars.I swaped my 80 dash for a 87 El Camino dash so I wouldn't have to do any cutting.

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
as stated, there is no metal in these dash's, only a fiberglass frame/structure. It looks as if on the top there is no fiberglass either, just the foam. Here are a couple pics for reference. Hope that helps

dash002.jpg

dash001.jpg

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Thanks for the pictures, 81classic. 79landau and myself are hoping that we can cut at the ends of the existing dash pad that presently has provision for just a center speaker, and that there will be a recess for the end speakers..

Looking at your pictures, you remind me that those speakers are really secured to the dash pad itself and not the stucture that the pad is secured to.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts