Driveshaft Loop clearance question

WhiteBu

Daily Driver
Jan 18, 2010
Hello all!
New member here.

How much clearance is adequate between the driveshaft and a loop?

Right now, I can fit my index finger in between easily. But is that enough?
Picture is below.
I can't imagine it moving enough to contact the loop.
It's NOT a daily driver and I don't live on or near any rough roads.

My loop is for the later G-bodies but fit nicely with shimming on the driver's side.

I also have an Iceman crossmember.......I have a feeling it's dropped the tail of the transmission some, too.
Shimming it up may be in order as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_0871.jpg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Before you shim the crossmember or the transmission mount, check the u-joint angles. You may have to change the angle at the differential if you change the angle at the transmission.

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
Mine fit very similar but wasnt the same brand you have, the brackets look a little bit different. I have a 3 inch driveshaft with 1350 u joints. This is what happened to mine. It was fine until i took it to the track for the first time and when i went through the traps and got on the brakes hard the yoke hit the loop. I ended up having to notch the bolt holes in the loop to slide it over to the drives side about half an inch. sorry for rambling on but I hope this helps you.

WhiteBu

Daily Driver
Jan 18, 2010
Success!

After doing some research on here about the Iceman crossmember, I did some measuring.
Well.....lo and behold the 2 degrees of negative pinion angle I had before the crossmember and exhaust install was gone!

So I made a 1/2" spacer this morning for under the mount.
VOILA! 2 degrees is back AND the driveshaft was approaching centered in the loop!

BUT it wasn't quite there yet.
Seems the mount was bolted into one of the outer (of the three provided) mounting screw holes.
SO......I gently pried the transmission over to meet the center hole.

WOW! cool.gif
Pic shows the end result.
Spot on.
Now to get to work on my H-Pipe before the wife and daughter get home. ;)

IMG_0875.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts