Electrical problems with my Daily Drive (2001 Expedition)

SmileyRacing

Frequent Racer
Having a major problem with surging lights on my 2001 Expedition. Replaced Alternator and Battery - still has the problem. Old alternator tested fine to boot. Voltage readings from Alternator are in the 15 - 15.23 range when the surging is happening.

Every light in the darn truck flickers/surges at the same rate regardless of RPM. I'm thinking there may be a short somewhere. I noticed that with the battery + cable disconnected there was still about 1.5-2 volts on the cable, I was able to trace the voltage back to the wire coming from the fuse box busbar. Any idea if this is normal, or what could be holding voltage in the fuse box? With a volt meter on it, it will drop down to zero volts after about 2 minutes.

The system completely freaked out tonight where the battery light was on and the dash volt meter was almost on high. The battery is reading over 13.2 volts right now with the truck off and everything disconnected!

80malibu383

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2005
Gainesville FL.
I have seen lots of electrical problems caused by water leaking on the fuse block and gem module from a windsheild leaking water. check the fuse block under dash for signes of water.

SmileyRacing

Frequent Racer
80malibu383 said:
I have seen lots of electrical problems caused by water leaking on the fuse block and gem module from a windsheild leaking water. check the fuse block under dash for signes of water.

GEM, Fuse Box, and Windshield were replaced about 8 months ago. I can't see any sign of water leakage yet. I still have to pull the dash apart at some point, but looks dry from what I can see. The last fuse box has major corrosion on the busbar and would make connections at random times.

The earlier problem was that assorted item would turn themselves on and off, sometime while the truck was off. That was some scary stuff - you'd think the truck was posessed.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts