engine ticking on cold starts

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Yah, I really never did that either...PLUS the one that seals leaks instantly...LOL. That one probably seals every passage in the motor...LOL OVER HEAT! curse_sign.gif

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
My silverado does the same thing,(5.3) I am going to check the valves on mine. Sounds like a little chatter, almost like an engine with real light piston slap but only when its cold 30's or below for about 2-3 minutes....

A

Anonymous

I used Gunk Engine Flush one time. Spun a rod bearing shortly after that engine oil change. Never again.

I used Slick 50 once. Put over 100k miles on the engine, had to take one of the heads off for a repair and the cylinders looked brand new. Never had a lower end problem out of the buick v6.

Now, having said that, SeaFoam is no Gunk Engine Flush. In fact, it isn't a flush at all. Just follow the directions on the container. This sh*t is nothing short of miraculous. I've used it in engines, in gas tanks, carbs, fuel injection, you name it.

Even used it in a locked up air compressor pump and it is still going.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
I do know the name has been around long than me personally...lol. Jim

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Bill,

I use a sawed off broom stick to listen with. One end on the engine,one end in the ear.

#1:Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. Heated metal expands and the "tick" goes away.

#2: Could be a lifter sticking and maybe some rocker noise.

#3: If I wanted to clean out a running engine, I would change the oil and substitute one quart with Marvel Mystery Oil. I was raised in the used car business and I can't count the number of times I used this stuff. Still use it. The longroof is getting a shot next oil change.
It cleans and lubes slowly and not a kerosene bath like that Gunk flush stuff.

bukweet

ElCaminoBill

Pro Stocker
Feb 8, 2004
South Carolina
Due to unrelated problems I put some Seafoam in my throttle body. and some smoke was coming out between my exhaust manifolds and Y-pipes.

I bought some exhaust doughnuts, shot the studs with WD40 and am letting it soak for a few days. I'll change them and see what happens.

Wish me luck.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I wish you luck :lol: 8-[

A

Anonymous

Well, glad the seafoam helped you figure out the issue. Smoke is expected when you treat the engine that way...even says so on the can. ;)

ElCaminoBill

Pro Stocker
Feb 8, 2004
South Carolina
formikec said:
Well, glad the seafoam helped you figure out the issue. Smoke is expected when you treat the engine that way...even says so on the can. ;)

Yep, the truck looked like a mosquito fogger. Smoke sneaking out between the manifolds and Y-Pipes was unexpected. Like you said, at least it helped me find one problem. Hopefully its the only on.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts