Experimental camshaft

unclepudge

Frequent Racer
Apr 17, 2006
CT
Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone knows about a gm experimental camshaft, I recently picked up a free motor from my uncle because it developed a knock after warming up,he gave the whole motor with a new carter 4bbl carb and aluminum intake included as long as I didn't bother him with questions because it was a rebuild gone sour from a local shop, so I am trying to figure out what this cam may be without ripping the engine all apart I may have to at some point if I can't visually see any problems (my guess maybe a spun bearing) , I looked up the block number and it comes up 1969 camaro 350 and my friend at a machine shop says the heads are 1966 gm the pistons have 0030 stamped on them so I'm guessing 30 over? my uncle said it was a good engine with alot of money in it he's just tired of working on projects,any help is greatly appreciated.

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
If it's an aftermarket cam the manufacturer and grind number (possibly the part number) will usually be etched into either the front or rear end of the cam. If it's a GM unit the numbers are often much more difficult to decipher. I've seem many posts from people asking for help figuring out what GM cam they have and there are often no replies to the thread.

unclepudge

Frequent Racer
Apr 17, 2006
CT
OK thanks for the info, it is supposed to be a gm cam.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts