flowtech header issues

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
dropped my motor (383/th350) in with flowtech headers..and it looks to me that they hit the ears of the trans where the dust shield mounts..i guess i can trim them off??? the other and more troubling issue to me is a tube on the d.s. side is within a 1/8 of the oil filter..looks like even a short filter will still be within the 1/8.(on the side of the filter).am i missing soumething here?? is the a small dia. sbc filter i could use??..i have read these headers fit great??..thanks

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
What type of Flowtech?
I have a set of afterburners that actually can be installed with the starter and the oil filter left on the engine. The former owner did do some massaging to the drivers side header under the column shifter linkage before I got them but other then that they fit great.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
Flowtech 11104FLT ...i thought these were the ones i needed...i had thought some one said these fit really nice..these are the onlt issues i have with them ...so far..lol

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
ok hacked off the ears..now the tubes fit good..except that filter is still 1/8 from header..all the cars i have had with headers never had this issue..one guy told me as long as its not touching your ok..seems like alot of heat there to be absorbed...ideas??

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
Header tape wrapped at that area. Will help form a thermal barrier between the filter and tube. (If there is room of course)

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
You could also get some of that stuff they use to wrap starters to keep them from getting heat soaked and make a sleeve for your oil filter.
Just an example:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Versa-Shield-Starter-Shield-Design-Engineering_16120014-P_N3638E_P%7CGRP2039P_____

I've seen places sell it by the sheet for a lot less.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
ahha!!..see thats why i ask...great ideas, that i have overlooked...i'm thinking i will wrap the header but it will be tight..thanks guys!!

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
There is a short style and a long style oil filter. For example: Fram makes a car filter PH30 and truck PH13 One is shorter than the other. This would give you more clearance. I have a set of Flowtech shortie headers on my 97 Dodge Ram. The collector is very close to the filter. The first time I changed the oil the filter grip area(FRAM) was melted so I knew it was not good.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
hey brian, ..yea this isnt a short or long issue its that the tube runs along side the filter..i think its got enough clearance but is alot closer than i'd like

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts