Future engine for the truck (383?)

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
Doober,
Monster torque. All i can see are the lift figures. What are the duration and lobe sep and installed c/l?

This motor would be great for DD of any type: s10, g body (insert rear wheel drive gm car here)

v8power

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2008
okc
Edelbrock peformer rpm cam is pretty good too

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
79 surfwagon said:
Doober,
Monster torque. All i can see are the lift figures. What are the duration and lobe sep and installed c/l?

This motor would be great for DD of any type: s10, g body (insert rear wheel drive gm car here)

My bad, I didn't make the window big enough for all the cam specs #-o It's a Comp 12-407-8 (PN is at the top, XR252HR I believe is the grind). 206º/210º @ .050", .472"/.480" w/ 1.5 rockers, 110º LSA. Powerband is advertised 600-4,600, I'm debating on stepping it up a hair, try to carry the torque out a little farther & bump up the HP. After some more prodding in Dyno2003, I found this one... average torque is still around the same, but peak HP is up by 30 or so (close to 380).
383dyno2.jpg

I also picked up the throttle body yesterday. It's mounted to what I'm pretty sure is a factory TBI-to-spreadbore adapter... so if I really wanted to I could try to find an aftermarket spreadbore intake with an EGR valve... it should flow better than the stock intake, but since RPMs won't really go past 5,000 anyway I'm not sure if I'll even bother.

Not bad for $100 8) I dare you to find one for that price on eBay (not a 4.3, 305 or 350 one either) :D
TBI-1.jpg

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
That appears to be the TBI used on marine and large truck applications.

Get me the numbers off it and I should be able to tell you for sure.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
What I can find, is that it is somewhere between a 1988-1990 7.4L throttle body. The numbers of the throttle body lend it to being from a TOPKICK/KODIAK, which would make since because that plate was made the the TOPKICK/Kodiak trucks as well.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
I forgot to mention, it could also be from a RV as well. But, that is a good find.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Curse you & the engines you find on CL :lol: I've had no such luck in the area. I'm keeping an eye out for a TBI motor that's mostly complete (heads, block & intake are the biggest things), but so far I haven't really found anything fitting, and the closest to what I'm looking for is more than what I'm willing to pay so far... a semi-local junkyard has one listed for $300, so I'll probably check that out tomorrow.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts