GAS Tank straps not fitting???'s

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I removed the gas tank from my 1987 Cutlass 442 and installed a new sending unit and now when I try to put the tank back up the straps are not reaching the holes where the bolts go through can anyone tell me what the problem could be or can I use some kind if HEAVY DUTY zip tie or something to connect to the gas tank straps or what?THANKS :? :? :? :( :(

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
If you took it off it has to go back on - make sure your lines and the new unit are clear and you get it wiggled in there right.

jsiler

Dragway Regular
Nov 6, 2009
Dayton, OH
Try using longer bolts to get them started,once you get the straps started just run the longer bolts up as far as you can.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The straps hook on one end and bolt on the other. Hook the one end on first, then bolt the other end on. It will be a struggle to get the bolt reach, but you will eventually be able to start the bolt. It has been more than 10 years since I did one.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i couldn't get mine to go up high enough so i did the same thing,i used longer bolts to draw the straps where they belong and replaced them one at a time when they were in place with shorter ones.

81rustabu

Dragway Regular
Apr 16, 2011
pinckney,MI
Just did this to my bu acouple of weeks ago to install nitrous bottle brackets. Couldnt get the straps back up there. Turns out there was a 2x4 on top of the tank we where using to prevent the drill bit from hitting the tank. took it out and bam it fits again.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!