GM Mini Starter question

78FLMalibu

Weekend Racer
Aug 7, 2010
Montverde, FL
www.cruizers.org
I am going to the junkyard this weekend and I am hoping to pick up a mini starter. I have researched, and it seems as though most guy on here have much different engines than I do. I am sticking with the 84 305HO from the Monte SS thats already in my Malibu.

From what I am reading, the 96-99 350 vortec starters are different, and won't work, and the V6 ones will.

I just want to be sure before I go. :)

Thanks!

Shawn

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Hey Shawn. I went to advancautopats.com and found that the 2500 series of truck came with a mini starter in 96-99. When I looked up starters for the 1500 trucks there starter looked like the full size starter. I also would like more info an truck mini starters. I also have a 84 305 H/O in my 78 El Camino. Doug

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
There are some other threads on this topic. The LT1 starter is a mini starter. To install it in an older engine, you need the special LT1 bolts. They can still be purchased from GM and are not expensive. The bolts are unique in that they have a metric shoulder and SAE threads. Don't try and reuse the SAE bolts as they are too narrow to index in the hole correctly.

Try searching to look for the other threads.

I found the thread I was referring to:
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99954

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
t5montecarlo said:
There are some other threads on this topic. The LT1 starter is a mini starter. To install it in an older engine, you need the special LT1 bolts. They can still be purchased from GM and are not expensive. The bolts are unique in that they have a metric shoulder and SAE threads. Don't try and reuse the SAE bolts as they are too narrow to index in the hole correctly.

Try searching to look for the other threads.

I found the thread I was referring to:
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99954
what he said,that post is all you need to read on oem mini starter's.call the local gm and and get starter bolts from them,worth every penny 8)

78FLMalibu

Weekend Racer
Aug 7, 2010
Montverde, FL
www.cruizers.org
I found a relatively new mini starter in a LT1 Buick Roadmaster for 20 bucks... It is still nice and shiny too. Found the receipt in the glovebox. apparently replaced last month.

I also grabbed the starter bolts that held it up. Can I re-use these, or just get new ones?

Shawn

454RAT

Pro Stocker
Mar 19, 2004
Summerville, SC
i would re-use them

scuba_steve's_bu

Frequent Racer
Apr 9, 2009
Rock Rapids, Iowa
we just changed the starter in my car. it went out between the 1st and 2nd round last week. we put one in from a 97-99 vortec 350 chevy pick up (napa part # 4n-5110). went right in no problems, lots of room and no shims!! reached in turned the key and sweet it worked. we did use the stock bolts and had to put 3 small washers between the bottom of the starter and the bolt. my motor is a 400 small block with staggered pattern. sure went in alot easier than it came out.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Yes, there is. If the bolts are in-line and both are long, it is the 168-tooth flywheel. If the bolts are staggered and one is short/one is long, it is for the 153-tooth flywheel.

Scuba_Steve, you are going on borrowed time. Your original bolts are too narrow for the newer starter and it can and may move so that the drive gear fails to mesh with the flywheel. I strongly suggest getting the correct bolts and know the starter will never move.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!