Good streetable 8.5 posi unit

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
If that's it with the surface rust in the last pic then it's a gov-lock. These are notorious for grenading with any sort of traction or in off-road situations where the tire comes off the ground then comes back down on solid rock. It's a ratchet style unit that works well in slippery stuff(ice, snow,mud,boat ramps,etc.) but on solid dry surfaces eventually it'll get caught in between the free-wheel/lock-up mode and all heck breaks loose(along with everything else). Someone more knowledgable than I can chime in about whether the rust on the press-on carrier bearing surface is terminal or can be serviceable.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Alright great thanks for the reply. I'll just go with the first instinct and buy a Detroic Trutrac for the stock spline axles from this rear. The axles from 8.5" G-bodies are 28 spline correct?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Yes that is a grenade lock, err gov-lock that you got. DONT use it, You'll be fine for awhile then it'll blow and take everything with it. I just installed a Tru-Trac in my GN rear end, WELL worth it imo. I really like how it drives and works. I would recommend it to those that drive on the street. Have fun!

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Yep you guys made up my mind. Definately gonna go with the Detroit unit and save myself the hassles from doing it all over again in a couple months.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Last opinion: Yes it is a gov lock and yes it is true the thing is great for low speed operation... and does that well BUT it is NO high performance power unit.

You can sell it on Ebay in about 2 months and get your money back...

IF you can afford to get the 30 spline axles in your buld AND the posi unit this will be your best money spent and assure you are ready for just about any power to the ground for the street for sure and the track to low elevens easy too.

The 28 or 30 spline unit will run you the same amount so really think it over.... just trying to help.

Lastly Have me quote you out a price before you go shopping as I can usually work out some really good prices for all the forums I usually visit to answer questions.

Take care, Jim

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Jim thanks a ton! I surfed your site right before I bought the rear end and it's really a very informative site. Funds are tight right now and with the union contract ending soon I'm not buying anything until I find out what the new contract is. But I'll definately let you know what I'll be going with once I know. I will be getting a rear end rebuild kit for the seals and such just because everything on this car so far has had to be taken off serviced and put back in and taken off again. Old cars suck! Haha just kidding.

Thanks to everyone that helped again I can't say how much help you've been.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts