Got my big brake parts... some questions

A

Anonymous

Ok, got my 12" rotors, spindles, back plates, pads, ball joints, hardware... all brand new GM stuff 8)

I know I need calipers (off a 1990 Caprice I guess), but I was told that I either need new a-arms (at globalwestperformance) OR I can shim my current ones....

Anyone know about this shimming thing? I rather not spend $500 on a-arms...

2492354_15_full.jpg

2492354_17_full.jpg

A

Anonymous

I see. Is there any car I can get it from? Or do I really need to spend another chunk of cash?

A

Anonymous

get some from UB Machine, got mine for right at $100 shipped for the pair, heres a pic of them installed on my 81 regal

HPIM0696.jpg

shows the a-arms better...

HPIM0693.jpg

use part # 14-0809-5r and 14-0809-5l cost $48 each, then shipping

A

Anonymous

...for the tubular a-arms? $48 each??? Why are they SO much cheaper?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
aaron7 said:
...for the tubular a-arms? $48 each??? Why are they SO much cheaper?

With all due respect to UB Machine, just compare them side-by-side. The UB stuff is like what a weekend oval tracker would use. The GW/Hotchkiss stuff is very close to factory production level. The UB stuff is not by any means bad, just for a different application.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

So...don't get it? I mean for $4x it doesnt really matter!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I meant to say they're like what is used on a weekend drag application. Not to disrespect UB, but I wouldn't use them for street or hardcore road-race applications. They're not braced and I have seen that same basic design collapse under braking and severe cornering loads.

Tommy

John N

Top Fueler
Feb 12, 2005
South Jersey
jackstandracing.com
How hard are you really going to push the car? I beat the crap out of my Speedway arms on the Camino more than a few times and the arms held up fine. Not so much the tires, but the arms and suspension were OK :lol: They're cheap because the quality and design/strength is sub GW standards and aren't a big brand name. They also don't weigh nearly as much as GW arms however which is a good thing. They were made for budget oval racers, but I think they will hold up fine if you aren't auto Xing every day.

A

Anonymous

It's a daily driver... currently with a V6 in it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts