Grand Cherokee steering box in G-Body???

Chewy72ss

Daily Driver
Sep 28, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.cardomain.com
I'm looking for an inexpensive quick ratio steeing box. The Grand Cherokees from '92-'98 are 12.7:1 I believe, and the steering shaft uses u-joints, rather than a rag joint. I know these boxes are direct bolt-ins for GM A-bodies, but I am unsure when it comes to G-bodies.

Does anybody know if a Grand Cherokee box will bolt into a G-Body???
Thanks!

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
On my 98, the box has a Z/N stamped on it(not sure which it is)
I will look when I get a chance though

Chewy72ss

Daily Driver
Sep 28, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.cardomain.com
Thanks 83LSWagon.

There's not really a downfall to the Z28 boxes. It's just that, GC boxes are $20 on ebay. :D

I know I could go to a junkyard and get a F-Body box for cheap, but I don't have many opportunities to go, and the closest junkyard is, well... not that close.

Edit: I believe the Camaro boxes have stops inside the box, which results in smaller turning radius. Not really noticeable though.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
cool! thanks chewy72ss and if i used one from an f-body what all would i need

Chewy72ss

Daily Driver
Sep 28, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.cardomain.com
Camaro steering box.

You'll need a steering box from an '82-'92 Camaro w/ performance susp. (Z28, etc.)

The F-body boxes use Metric hoses (18mm, I believe.), where the pre-80 GM cars used standard fittings. So, those will have to be adapted with fittings available from the auto parts store. Other than the hoses, the box should be a direct bolt-in. I'm not positive about the steering shaft though.

Also, you must switch over the pitman arm to retain the correct geometry!

I'll be sure to look into this more over the next few days, as I will probably end up going the F-body route. I'll post some more info as it is uncovered.

HTH :-k

EDIT: Here is a USEFUL LINK... There are some part numbers at the bottom of the page, for conversion fittings.

COPO 572

Dragway Regular
Mar 23, 2004
Morrisville, NC 27560
I'm in the market for a new steering box and contacted Flaming River. The guy told me their Jeep steering box was a direct bolt in. Although, he did say you might need a pitman arm the could be sourced from Speedway Motors.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts