headliner sagging

Randy W

Frequent Racer
I've been in the upholstery business since 1977, when board type headliners sag it's because the thin foam backing on the material has rotted. You can temporarily glue it back but it won't stay long as a rule. Only correct way is to buy new fabric, take down the board, peel off the old fabric, wire brush the board clean, wipe it down with thinner or similar, use a very good contact cement, I use counter top adhesive and a spray gun, it can be brushed on but is hard to get thin enough. If you use the spray cans, get the 3M that specifically says it's for headliners/vinyl tops, almost anything else will turn loose in hot weather.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
On a few of my cars, I remove the headliner from the car pealed the fabric off the board. With a stiff interior broom remove all the foam then sprayed the board and the fabric with 3M General trim adhesive #08088. If there is some thing better/stronger that wont eat the headliner board,I would also like to know. Doug

78bbmalibu

Oct 3, 2008
Bristol, IL
You can also get a new ABS plastic board withthe material already installed if your board is bad at all, I got one thru Tamrazs for my 1978 Malibu and it worked out good. They can also get the material and the 3M glue. Their number is 1-800-442-4601 if your interested.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Dixie Monte Carlo parts also has ths ABS with the cloth applied

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts