Holley Sniper EFI?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I don't know. I started it up 4 times today. I started it and warmed the engine up to 190 *. The IAC was at 60. I shut it off and restarted right away and the temperature was at 156* and the IAC was at 40. I shut it off again and restarted it immediately and the engine temperature was at 162* and the IAC was at 20. I shut it off again and restarted it immediately the engine temperature was at 190* and the Top IAC was at 8. I need to figure out how to get the computer check out the numbers it's showing to make sure they are correct. I appreciate your help.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
If IAC is all over ensure you dont have a vacuum leak at the carb base somewhere. Maybe a fitting. Brakes? Advance? A broken vacuum nipple thingy. I also gleaned this off a thread while I was taking a look to see what the table size is. I dont know if that cut and paste will help you but it answers the fuel table question and it had IAC related issue that may help you. I read some of the thread. Everything is made so much more complicated then it needs to be. I admit I dont know how to dumb these explanations down. So I tinker. And adjust and take notes and F up the parameters to see what everything does and how the engine reacts. It takes amazingly little input to make a good tune bad. Maybe your engine is uhappy with idle AFR? Every engine is different...... I choke mine down to 15.5 AFR for idle.

From the Holley EFI Thread:
The engine needs to be fully warmed up (180° is good) you put the Sniper into Open Loop and then grab a 3x3 or 4x4 set of cells around the bubble on the Base Fuel Table and manually raise or lower the base fuel amount using the up & down arrow keys. Watch the IAC and the MAP values as you adjust the base fuel. The IAC will reduce as the engine runs better and MAP will decrease as the engine runs better. Once you find the "happy spot" take a note of the actual AFR reading on the sensor screen. That number becomes your new Target AFR for idle. You have to manually enter the new Target AFR into the table. Then put it back into Closed Loop and see how it runs on its own.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you for your help. When I unplugged the PCV from the Sniper and put a plug over the fitting on the front of the Sniper the IAC number was normal,so I replaced the PCV with a new one. The numbers went back to being real high. When I have made adjustments using the screw for the IAC and was able to get the numbers to normal. Then I restarted it immediately and the numbers were too high. I've made some short road trips where I ran it through different speeds from 25 to 65 mph . And the numbers keep being high. The last trip was after I replaced the PCV with the same results. These numbers are inconsistent and staying where they should no matter what I do. Thank you again for your help.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Holley Performance suggested I reprogram it, so I tried that and won't start at all. I called Holley Performance today and was on hold for 30 minutes, so I gave up until Monday.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I just started from scratch. Though my reason was I reflashed the computer with newer software. So I thought I would do a full once over. Beginning with just plain getting the car to run. Adjusting the fuel to make it start perfect every time. Then IAC. I can make mine zero just like yours..... crack the butterflies and it will. But I tune to the highest possible vacuum I can achieve. That has to include the IAC being 20 or under. FiTech calls for 10 or below like the Holley. And it might be posible if my car was a nice docile 275 hp V8 with a 118 LSA but that is just not happening. So I get as close as possible. The IAC stepper motor has A LOT of movement. Its just a controlled vacuum leak. I have a PVC in my 496 and its nothing but a vacuum leak too....so to speak. If yours is all over then I would still look for a leak. Maybe the intake is not sealed to the block and there is a leak there. I had that problem and it makes a difference on these throttle bodies. They are not forgiving.
My latest is chasing an idle surge. very lazy once it gets some temp in it. Collector gasket speration after it gets hot pulling in a tiny bit of air and causing a slow oscilation and over compensate? My point is to look EVERYWHERE and at EVERYTHING.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you very much for your help. I'll have to try to figure out to make mine better than it is now. I'll have to check the manual and see if I can get it figured out. Mine is a 350 cubic in with the Comp cam Magnum cam.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I finally got it started, it must have been I got the key adjustment right on the electronic Sniper EFI system. But I have a new problem there's a red flag on the temperature number like it's too hot but the temperature is where it always runs. I don't know how to get rid of the red flag.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I called Holley Performance and got the red flags out of it. I taped up the hole on top of the Sniper EFI system and then I set the IAC. So now when I warm the engine up then shut it off and restart it the IAC number reads the same as I set it up to be. I had put the TV cable in the wrong hole when I hauled it to the shop to finish the install. The hole it is in ,is fore a 350 transmission. I want to move it to the 2004r hole. If I do that the TV cable is too loose. The adjust bracket is connected to the throttle. Here's a picture of what it looks like. It's the one on the right side and the cruise control is on the left side. Any suggestions on how to connect the TV cable properly?

Attachments

• IMG_20230406_144929914.jpg
    IMG_20230406_144929914.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I called Holley Performance and got the red flags out of it. I taped up the hole on top of the Sniper EFI system and then I set the IAC. So now when I warm the engine up then shut it off and restart it the IAC number reads the same as I set it up to be. I had put the TV cable in the wrong hole when I hauled it to the shop to finish the install. The hole it is in ,is fore a 350 transmission. I want to move it to the 2004r hole. If I do that the TV cable is too loose. The adjust bracket is connected to the throttle. Here's a picture of what it looks like. It's the one on the right side and the cruise control is on the left side. Any suggestions on how to connect the TV cable properly?
Impossible for me to tell with that pic. I would need far more understanding of your entire linkage/setup and I am a visual person.
At least its running. Im getting ready to drive mine for a few days in the next week. Do a little spring cruising. Weather is nice. Its dry out. New software is installed. Time for some learning.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
What that is a TV cable adjuster that is only holding the throttle cable. There's no way to adjust the TV cable that I can see, unless the throttle cable can be mounted in a different area.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!