How many amp alternator do I need?

Ledsled87

Frequent Racer
Mar 18, 2005
I am needing an alternator for the wagon, but was concerned about amperage because I will be running electric fuel pump, water pump and dual electric fans, etc. Can I get away with an 80 amp? Ive found the police car 100 amp alternators at the parts stores, but they are a bit bigger overall and I dont know if they will work with my mid mount alternator brackets... Any help is appreciated.

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
I have experience upgrading GM charging systems so I can help you out with this. I would suggest upgrading to a 1994 Lumina APV van with rear AC which will get you 120+ amps. I believe this allows you to retain your alternator clocking positions. Next you'll need to upgrade your charging system to take advantage of the remote voltage sensing load @ idle. For anybody that has questions about this or needs ideas, let me know and I will help you out. I'd suggest reading up on this topic on http://www.madelectrical.com before performing any wiring mods. Once you have upgrading to a HO alternator, you need to look at how you want to control the electrical devices you mentioned. I would run everything off relays with the exception of you fan(s). You might want to think about running a variable speed control for them instead of a relay-it will provide more stable cooling and increase the life of the fan motor(s). We specialize in performance cooling systems and wiring so if you have questions or would like sound advice on what your options can be, drop me a line or call me at 515-979-8602 and I'd be happy to offer any help I can. -Jabin

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts