I think I'll do a new trans. instead...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've been doing some thinking, and it's boiled down to I'll just likely up & buy a new transmission when it comes time. I've been looking around online, and Keisler's apparently listing transmissions on eBay, much cheaper than I expected.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/keislerengineering

I was thinking about getting a TKO 600 as opposed to a 500 for good measure, but then I saw they're also selling retrofit T56s for the same price as the TKO 600. Not to mention they're offering free shipping as well.

d968_3.JPG

I think I'd just need a driveshaft, crossmember, and the clutch disc besides the kit. The Keisler T56 also has mechanical speedo provision :-k

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
About 5-6 years ago, a friend (Bob Morris; [email protected]) did extensive research before buying an aftermarket F body T56 (mechanical speedo) and discovered that Liberty had the best price. This was just for the transmission and adapter plate, not a kit tailored to a specific chassis.

The aftermarket T56 has a 2.97:1 first gear and is also plagued with some cheapness. The first trip to the drag strip behind a stock L69 305 resulted in some synchro keys deforming and coming out. Some upgrades are a good idea in the aftermarket T56. Some believe the best T56 is the OEM version (numerically lower 1st gear than aftermarket), but change the tailhousing with one from an aftermarket version or have the OEM tailhousing modified to accept the mechanical speedo gears.

I am not saying the T56 is had, but I suggest contacting my friend, Bob, about the aftermarket T56 before buying one.

Also, shop around before taking the plunge.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hey Doober,

Sounds like the way to go! How you gonna act with 3 extra gears?
Should be a blast,If you're worried about tearing one up Rockland Gear has one they're calling Tranzilla,supposed to handle 1200 hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque,then they have Son of Tranzilla which is supposed to take 1000/800 or something like that,course I don't know what they want for them but I bet they ain't cheap,but if you think about it a Tranzilla would probably be a one time deal,I've been weiging the options and like the Richmond 6spd,I guess I'm to old school and like outside shifter linkage but I'm also stuck on Muncie noises and would absolutly be totally bummed out spending 3 grand on a transmission I couldn't hear so whenever I get a spare 4 grand to play with it'll probably be a Super M-22 and a GearVendors OD,that should be fum too!!!!! Later,KillerDave

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Killerdave8813 said:
How you gonna act with 3 extra gears?
:roflback: Who knows??? I'll need something besides a set of 2.29s in the rearend, that's for sure! I doubt I'll ever build anything much over 500hp, so if anything just an upgraded T56 should suit what I'm looking at doing.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Doober, I thought your car was an original stick car. If your car was an original V6 3-speed car, it will have 2.73 gears. The V8 4-speed cars had 2.73 (1978-1979) or 3.08 (1980-1981) gears.

(source: 1976-1981 parts book)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts