Igniton key is stuck like chuck

RATFINK!!!

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2011
Franklin, OH.
www.facebook.com
I got my carb from pro systems today and I was going to fire the engine for the first time. I had an issue with the starter, and after I took care of that I reached into the car and turned the igniton key. It turned to the on position, and then it became stuck. Can't turn it to the start positon, and I can't turn it off and the key she no come out. I Know there's a rod that runs down the top of the steering column, but before I tear the dash apart I thought I would check and see if anyone had this happen to them and if so if there was an easy fix. Any Ideals???

TIA, Don

Phoneguy

Amateur Racer
Nov 18, 2009
Central fl
I had a chevy truck that it stuck on and it ended up being the lock cyclinder. Had to replace it.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Lock cylinder or broken rack.

RATFINK!!!

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2011
Franklin, OH.
www.facebook.com
racecar77 said:
Lock cylinder or broken rack.
What do you mean by broken rack?
bowtie81 said:
Have you tried turning the wheel as you turn the key?
The key is stuck in the on position so the wheel is not locked.

The car use to be a column shift and now it has a floor shifter, It also has a tilt steering wheel. I've tried moving the bowl around as well as moving the tilt up and down. Looks like I'm going to have to dig into it before I find out what the problem is. Since this is the first one of these cars I have done I was hoping it might be something simple. I'll start by pulling off the steering wheel and see what I find. Hopefully I won't have to tear the whole column out of the thing. I was really wanting to fire her up and break the cam in. Oh well...Ahhh, the joys of hotrodding. #-o

Pulled the steering wheel off, and it appears that the problem is not there. I dropped the column down as far as I could and now I'm wondering if the switch has taken a dump on me. everything seems to be free up top, but it's hard to tell. Looks like this is going to turn out to be a major PITA!

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
The rack is an aluminum piece with teeth on it inside the column. When you turn the key (lock cylinder) a gear engages the rack and moves the rod for the electrical part of the switch.

RATFINK!!!

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2011
Franklin, OH.
www.facebook.com
racecar77 said:
The rack is an aluminum piece with teeth on it inside the column. When you turn the key (lock cylinder) a gear engages the rack and moves the rod for the electrical part of the switch.
I'm wondering if that is the problem myself. I know it's being a REAL PAIN. I'm still trying to get into it and find the issue.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You mention it is a floor shift. Is the shifter linkage still connected to the base of the column? If so, disconnect it from the column and see if you can rotate the bowl to emulate the P position.

If the linkage is not connected to the base of the column, there is now nothing preventing the bowl from turning and emulating another shifter position, and you may experience what you are describing; the key will not move to the lock position or to the start position. Try and rotate the bowl to emulate the P position and see if you can rotate the lock cylinder properly.

RATFINK!!!

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2011
Franklin, OH.
www.facebook.com
t5montecarlo said:
You mention it is a floor shift. Is the shifter linkage still connected to the base of the column? If so, disconnect it from the column and see if you can rotate the bowl to emulate the P position.

If the linkage is not connected to the base of the column, there is now nothing preventing the bowl from turning and emulating another shifter position, and you may experience what you are describing; the key will not move to the lock position or to the start position. Try and rotate the bowl to emulate the P position and see if you can rotate the lock cylinder properly.

Tried rotating the bowl and where the linkage use to go on the column under the hood. No go. The son inlaw is stopping by later to take a look at it. He is more up on this late model stuff then I am. This is why they should have left the key on the dash where it belongs. I'm about ready just to stick a new column in the thing. curse_sign.gif

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts