Installing engine with HF engine hoist and transmission still in. Help!

slpfeife9651

Daily Driver
Jun 23, 2009
Rochester, MN
I have been stuck for quite some time now with trying to install my engine. I pulled the old 305 by myself after disconnecting the transmission. I was able to put the engine hoist at an angle by the driver's side fender and slowly lift it out while pushing on the engine to make sure it didn't hit anything. Now, I am trying to put in my 350 but I can't for the life of me get it far enough in to sit on the mounts. I can get one side, and then the other is crooked. I did pick up an engine leveler and I may see if this helps. It's like the arm on the lift is too short. I took of the front bumper and moved the jack stands while trying from the front, but still not even close. Any advice? I appreciate it.

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
those orange HF Hoists are too short to come in from the front. my solution was to extend the feet, make a longer arm, get a stronger cylinder, and reinforce the upper frame. Works great now, but it would have been easier to just buy a better hoist from the get go.
If you have a suncoast rental place local to you, they rent a hoist that is very nice and was only about $50. It has the reach and strength to do the motor and trans as an assembly from the front. I have used theirs a couple of times while helping my father out of state.
Trying to angle in with the harbor freight one sounds like a great way to damage the car, the motor and yourself. You may be able to do it with some help from friends, but I say call in an audible and rent one from suncoast

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hi There,
I have a Chinese made fold up engine hoist that I got from Big Lots many years ago, the lower legs flip up for storage and it has a three or four position extendable mast with the longest setting rated at 500 lb, I've changed a lot of engines with it, you have to be somewhat careful of the footing as it can be a bit unstable if you yank on it too much but that being said I've changed engines in both my Malibus several times in a two car garage during Winter with the door closed from the side, over the fender as you describe, I always do just engine or just transmission as I don't like the extreme angles that one will encounter trying to change the engine/trans as a complete unit, anyway I'll generally have the car up on stands in the front high enough so I can get underneath a bit and then will pin the transmission to the floor with a jack so it doesn't move about and is at an angle that will line up with the engine easily, I'll get a couple say 3/8x6" bolts and cut the heads off of them and screw them into the lowest bell housing bolt holes for line up pins, hang the engine at a similar angle to how the transmission is sitting in the car, I've used both chain slings and hoist plates that bolt to the carb flange on the intake manifold, put the engine over the fender into the engine bay and line it up and secure it to the transmission, pull the jack out from under the transmission and then let the engine hoist down, it may take a little finagling but it should drop right on to the mounts, Both of mine are standard trans so I also have the clutch to deal with, Automatics are that much easier, It will also make life much easier if you hammer the pinch weld flange where the floor meets the firewall flat while the engine is out, I've done that to both mine, it gives you much better access to the bell housing bolts, as I say I've done it that way many times and it works the same way every time, Hope it helps!! Good Luck, Have Fun!!! KillerDave

P.S. You might check and see if your transmission mount is intact, a broken mount will give you a bunch of headaches trying to line up an engine!!!!! Later

slpfeife9651

Daily Driver
Jun 23, 2009
Rochester, MN
Thanks for the advice. I tried the engine leveler but it still won't line up. I tried to shift the transmission back as the mount is trashed (I have a new one that I will install with the new cross member) but I couldn't get that bolt to nudge, I think it's 15mm? I'm losing my mind. I wish I would have just taken it to someone to have the engine installed as I feel like I am stuck. Is there a way to transport the car with the transmission still in, but the engine out? I have such a mess of bolts and accessories. I see we do have a Sunbelt rentals in town, so I might try that. Might need a break for a few days though!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
I have been stuck for quite some time now with trying to install my engine. I pulled the old 305 by myself after disconnecting the transmission. I was able to put the engine hoist at an angle by the driver's side fender and slowly lift it out while pushing on the engine to make sure it didn't hit anything. Now, I am trying to put in my 350 but I can't for the life of me get it far enough in to sit on the mounts. I can get one side, and then the other is crooked. I did pick up an engine leveler and I may see if this helps. It's like the arm on the lift is too short. I took of the front bumper and moved the jack stands while trying from the front, but still not even close. Any advice? I appreciate it.
if one side will catch but the other side won't try catching the side that DOESN'T line up first and see if anything changes anything on the opposing side.if the cars up in the air on stands that's not helping things either just making it harder for you.did you use the same motor mounts that the previous motor had or are you trying some different ones?did you leave the frame mounts on the frame or did you unbolt them at the same time with the motor?those sbc frame mounts only go in one spot on the frame. the last motor i installed one of the mounts was very close but i couldn't get the long bolt through both parts so i used a drift to line the holes up.can you take a picture of the offending side that's giving you trouble?takeing a break is always a good idea when you're hitting a wall.

slpfeife9651

Daily Driver
Jun 23, 2009
Rochester, MN
if one side will catch but the other side won't try catching the side that DOESN'T line up first and see if anything changes anything on the opposing side.if the cars up in the air on stands that's not helping things either just making it harder for you.did you use the same motor mounts that the previous motor had or are you trying some different ones?did you leave the frame mounts on the frame or did you unbolt them at the same time with the motor?those sbc frame mounts only go in one spot on the frame. the last motor i installed one of the mounts was very close but i couldn't get the long bolt through both parts so i used a drift to line the holes up.can you take a picture of the offending side that's giving you trouble?takeing a break is always a good idea when you're hitting a wall.
I replaced the mounts, but they are identical to the ones that were on there. I can't even get one side on without it hitting somewhere else. The way I have been trying to do it is by lowering it slowly and trying to push it over the last few inches because the arm on the lift is too short. I am probably going to end up renting a different hoist and having a buddy around to help me line it up.

slpfeife9651

Daily Driver
Jun 23, 2009
Rochester, MN
I wanted to give you guys an update. I have been taking my time and just looking at the engine in different ways trying to figure out how to get it to drop down. I used an engine leveler and somehow it worked! I wish I could tell you exactly how it fit, but it did. I was able to get the mounting bolts in and have all the bolts in through the bell housing. The transmission is mated right up nicely and now I can move on to the next steps. I included a picture of the engine in the car. I pulled out the 305 4 1/2 years ago and almost gave up multiple times. I'm glad to finally have it in there! Thanks to everyone for your advice and encouragement!
-Spencer

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 331

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
glad you got it in! one hurdle down and you can move on to the next step

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!