jeep steering shaft mods??

dragmontess

Weekend Racer
May 4, 2011
ft myers,fla
i have a jeep steering shaft that fits the steering box,but looks like the hole needs to open up way more for the column.is that how it surpose to be?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
If it is the one with aluminum ends, you will need to broach it larger; very few people have done that modification. I am not certain, but the hole in your Jeep shaft may be the same size as the inside of the steering shaft, so if you have a double-D shaft that fits inside the column, it may work. It would be easiest to get an older shaft with steel ends.

Camino383

Daily Driver
Aug 30, 2011
Sorry to hijack a thread, but I recently got a Jeep shaft; made sure it wasn't an aluminum-ended unit. I thibnk the ends are correct for my stock column and power steering box (82 Malibu). However I can't get the steering shaft to collapse down to the right length. It certainly looks like a collapsable shaft. I've sprayed it with penetrating oil and even tried a hammer, but she won't budge.

Have you encountered non-collapsable steering shafts?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You should compress it with a press and then it will move freely. It only needs to move a little bit and then it will fall out of the press, so be sure to hold it.

If you you heat, you will melt the plastic bushing inside and it will become sloppy.

If you use a hammer to compress it, you risk damaging the joints.

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
don't want to be 'that guy' but I tried the cherokee conversion... it didn't work with my stock '79 column and IROC Z steering box.

I think the culprit was the power sterring box, maybe this swap is only good for manual boxes? I read the manual boxes may have different "tooth count" from the power boxes.

Any help?

EDIT:

Okay, just read closer and I certainly have the aluminum Jeep steering shaft and I needed the steel ended one.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The alulminum-end shaft is from a newer Cherokee (1997 and later), and will not work as is. You need one from 1984-1996. There is also a year split where 1995-1996 has a different OEM part number, but I don't know the physical differences. Quite some time ago, someone on this board mentioned that 1995-1996 had a harder rubber joint.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts