jeep steering shaft mods??

Elky81

Daily Driver
Feb 18, 2012
What are the benefits of using the Cherokee shaft instead of the factory shaft? Just asking....

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
No rag joint so there's less slop in the steering & more clearance. Many think it's nicer looking, too.

Tommy

Elky81

Daily Driver
Feb 18, 2012
LS6 Tommy said:
No rag joint so there's less slop in the steering & more clearance. Many think it's nicer looking, too.

Tommy

Thanks for the info........much appreciated!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
this subject has been talked about so much because their are a few diffrent ones out there can't we make it a sticky by now???anyone?

G-boz

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CT
www.ctgbody.com
Ive found 3 different shafts that work, 2 look identical except one is shorter and has small vent holes which makes it easier to slide by hand, the other is a older shaft with cast ends. (2 pcs). I put them on both my cars and you can definitly feel the difference.

I have a bunch of shafts if anybody need one.

shad1340

Daily Driver
Jul 2, 2012
Clayton, NC
Sorry to be opening an old thread but I'm on my first Malibu so I have a lot to learn. When looking for the steering shaft from the Jeep, do I need to look for a Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, 2wd or 4wd and will the shaft work with the factory power steering box? Shad

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
84-96 Cherokee. Not the Grand Cherokee.
I made the mistake of just buying an aluminum-ended shaft from someone, and I can't use it. Those are from 97 and newer. They will fit on the box, but not the column. My bad, should've done my homework. :(
That being said, instead of spending more money on another shaft, what do you guys think of cutting the end off a 97 and newer Cherokee column, and grafting it on the end of my Malibu column? I'm pretty good at that sort of stuff. Or would that be stupid? I trust my welding, but probably just be easier to get the right shaft, hey??

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts