Just general help with everything overall

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Okay so i wasn't too sure on what forum to post this is, and it kinda fits a bunch...anyway to the point, i have a 79 Bu with a 267 and either 3:90 or 3:73 gears, not sure which one. original 3 speed trans. the engine screams at around 55mph which is obvious with the three speed. not too good for highway driving, and im getting around 8 miles to the gallon, what would be the route to take with getting better mpgs. it is a daily driver as im a student a career & tech center, studying electrical construction, and do not currently have a job, working on that. the mpgs is breaking my wallet, i love the car, and dont wanna get rid of it. but would like to see an improvment in mileage, a friend has an 80 bu with a worked 350 getting 20mgs not sure what rear he has. give me your opinions what i could do to get that boost in mpgs. 4 speed trans? maybe back to a stock rear for now? upgrade engine? not sure on what i can do theres a bunch of things. also considering saving the money to buy a beater car that gets good mileage. Opinions please! Thank you.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
ALSO i have used my last summer il get during school restoring this car, and finally got it legal, so this is why i would hate to see it go. plus there are very few in my area. and its nice to just have some drivers and not drag cars.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
where would i get my hands on something like that? and ive never installed and engine or transon a car, so how hard would it be to do a trans? what else would i need to do the conversion?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
They came in 1985 and later G bodies, Caprices, and some Camaros. You will need a different crossmember and a frame extension for the driver's side of the car (available from lots of vendors).

Since you don't have a computer, it will need some work around for the lock-up feature. It can be disabled or retained.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
A rear end swap would be a WHOLE lot easier, and potentially cheaper as well. I'm sure there's guys on here that have stock 7.5 rear ends (think 2:73)

picking up (or better yet trading your rear for a different) one should be rather easy.
Where are you located? Post something in the want ads and see what comes back to you...
Higher gear ratio will lower the RPM's, vastly improve MPG's and make the car a lot more driveable
I'm surprised that poor little 267 hasn't come apart....

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Brown_Gbody said:
A rear end swap would be a WHOLE lot easier, and potentially cheaper as well. I'm sure there's guys on here that have stock 7.5 rear ends (think 2:73)

picking up (or better yet trading your rear for a different) one should be rather easy.
Where are you located? Post something in the want ads and see what comes back to you...
Higher gear ratio will lower the RPM's, vastly improve MPG's and make the car a lot more driveable
I'm surprised that poor little 267 hasn't come apart....

I agree with this. Search the junkyards for a complete rearend. It is a direct bolt in. That way you can keep the one in the car now for later on if you want.

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
I agree with everyone else...go for a gear change... It will be cheaper than buying a trans...plus buying a used trans can be a total crap shoot

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Toss in a stock 7.5" rear with numerically lower gears for now.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts