Learned something real interesting about LSX strokers today

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
So I went down to Schwartz Performance today to spec out my new LSX build. His shop is about 15 mins from my house...how cool is that?

Got a full tour of the shop and saw his latest toy: http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/ccrp_1002_1965_pontiac_tempest/index.html
He's a super nice guy and I learned a few things today about LSX's.

I figured I was going to spec out an LS3 based stroker, 427 likely, but he strongly advised against it. He explained how the pistons sit too far out of the hole at BDC for his liking. He showed me a 6.0 piston from a 1500 mile motor with a 4" stroke and it was obvious how much of the skirt sits out of the hole...not cool! So my options were to either have the block sleeved or go LS7 which doesnt have this problem. After a bit of talking about the possibility of an LS7 I told him I better not. Id be changing too much and its out of range of what I want to spend right now.

He offers a nice 555 HP LS3 that I am pretty sure I am going to go with now instead. That 555 is with a custom comp cam and a bump in compression. He doesnt touch the heads. He said he did a lot of experimentation with these heads and got great flow numbers but it never showed on the dyno. Apparently these motors dont need anymore head unless the cam is really crazy of course.

So if you're going to run L92's on a 6.2/6.0 it looks like you can leave em alone.

Kevin Williams

Amateur Racer
Aug 12, 2003
Autryville,NC
www.angelfire.com
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I told u these heads are killer.

my80bu

Weekend Racer
Oct 5, 2008
Belvidere IL
Kevin Williams said:
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I told u these heads are killer.
ive heard the heads just dont bolt on the 6.0's have a buddy who was looking to do the same setup i guess there is some modifing to the heads to make them work on the 6.0 blocks. I think he did say the 6.2's didnt have that issue. I d do some research on LS1 tech cause Im pretty sure thats where he found the info. The heads are for sure killer stock.

Kevin Williams

Amateur Racer
Aug 12, 2003
Autryville,NC
www.angelfire.com
They are just a simple bolt on a 4 inch bore motor, but you have to have the correct parts to match them. U have to have a Ls3 or L92 intake. Also because of the large intake ports it requires 8 offset intake rockers, and the matching stands.

my80bu

Weekend Racer
Oct 5, 2008
Belvidere IL
Re: Learned something real interesting about LSX strokers to

Kevin Williams said:
They are just a simple bolt on a 4 inch bore motor, but you have to have the correct parts to match them. U have to have a Ls3 or L92 intake. Also because of the large intake ports it requires 8 offset intake rockers, and the matching stands.
thats prolly what he was saying, i think he was saying it was a bit more money for him to do that. I'm in the process of finding a 6.0 id love to do the LS swap in my 80 this upcoming year.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Re: Learned something real interesting about LSX strokers to

Cool info that's a pretty sweet Tempest. Was in this months Car Craft didn't even see he was from IL. There was a set of L92 heads on CL for $250 fully assembled showed my friend building a 6.0 for his offroad project but he didn't want to spend the money #-o

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!