LeMans Hood Question.

ElCaminoBill

Pro Stocker
Feb 8, 2004
South Carolina
Goodmark sells some.

There was a company that had ads in the back of every issue of Super Chevy or Chevy Hi-Performance. The add said Steel is Real. They are in the midwest, like South Dakota of Iowa. I don't get those mags anymore but if the don't currently advertise there, they ads could be found in back issues.

ElCaminoBill

Pro Stocker
Feb 8, 2004
South Carolina
80Grand_LeMans said:
Wouldn't match because the "hump" going down the middle of the hood continues onto the front header panel.

The hood issue is is part of the reason that I was considering the choo-choo El Camino SS nose. Then I could install a Malibu hood and some glass fenders. That's probably just a pipe dream anyhow. :D

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Ok, so I had an idea on what to do but it may look dumb, and wouldn't be very plausible, but its worth talking about it I guess.

Basically, I'm thinking of cutting out the "hump" in the section that I may need the hood clearance and using that to weld onto something like this...

http://www.magnumforceracing.com/cars/69_hemi_dart_wrecks_to_riches/hemi_dart.jpg

So basically taking the section of the hump, welding it to a few pieces of steel that will box it in and raise it up.

I know it seems like one of those little ideas that will never happen, but, oh well. lol

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Quick sketch in paint...don't laugh at it, lol.

hoodidea.jpg

ElCaminoBill

Pro Stocker
Feb 8, 2004
South Carolina
That looks like it would work.

That's sorta what I had in mind when I suggested making your own cowl scoop. You would have to taper the sides and weld the front directly to the hood.

A 60s era Vette L88 scoop would be similar. They used them on some Yenkos too. Those Vettes have a wedge shaped bulge like our Ponchos. The scoop straddles the bulge.

Lunchbox

Amateur Racer
Oct 2, 2006
Palm Beach, FL
ha.... i got a lot of pipe dreams too
ElCaminoBill said:
80Grand_LeMans said:
Wouldn't match because the "hump" going down the middle of the hood continues onto the front header panel.

The hood issue is is part of the reason that I was considering the choo-choo El Camino SS nose. Then I could install a Malibu hood and some glass fenders. That's probably just a pipe dream anyhow. :D

ElCaminoBill

Pro Stocker
Feb 8, 2004
South Carolina
Another wild idea was to install an Astro roof. I just read where a board member crushed a Grand Am with an asto roof. ](*,)

ElCaminoBill

Pro Stocker
Feb 8, 2004
South Carolina
Back to 80_Grand Lemans hood issue. I was just thinking that on of the ChooChoo SS bolt on cowl hood scoops might work. As I recall they have a ridge down the middle. It would require some trimming in the front to accommodate the Poncho hump but that should be doable.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Saw one of these in person the other day. Basically the same idea I was thinking. It looks real good.

0703_mufp_01_z+1970_mercury_cougar+front_view.jpg

ElCaminoBill

Pro Stocker
Feb 8, 2004
South Carolina
80Grand_LeMans said:
Saw one of these in person the other day. Basically the same idea I was thinking. It looks real good.

0703_mufp_01_z+1970_mercury_cougar+front_view.jpg

WOW!

I always had a soft spot for Cougars. My 1st car was a 67 Cougar XR7. I don't often admit it but I used to be a ford man. :oops:

They make repros of those. A bolt on like that would be your simplest solution.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts