Looking for muffler suggestions

79elco

Daily Driver
Aug 18, 2010
I've got a 388 running a comp cams xe274h and LT headers with full 2.5in exhaust. I currently have flowmaster 40 series mufflers and they are too much for me, too loud and too much drone in the cabin of the car. I want something quiet that isn't going to blow up (I had a thrush turbo blow up in one of my cars after a backfire) and something that is performance oriented. I don't know about thrush welded muffelrs but have been thinking of giving them a shot just because they are cheap. Help me pick some mufflers for my 79 mullet mobile.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Flowmaster delta flow. They have low interior resonance.

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
Believe it or not, the Dynomax bullet mufflers are reasonably quiet and little resonance IF USED WITH FULL LENGTH TAILPIPES OUT TO THE EDGE OF THE BODY. I ran a pair of them in the traditional location with a full 2.5" true dual system exiting behind the tires and it sounded great and mellow until you really roll into the throttle-then it was positively evil :twisted: . Not expensive, straight through and built for racing so won't blow out like glasspacks. If you're dumping under the body everything will drone.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
80Grand_LeMans said:
Flowmaster delta flow. They have low interior resonance.
I replaced a regular Flowmaster 40 with a Delta Flow and noticed no change in interior resonance (there was quite a bit).

I'm shocked with the low amount of resonance with my Pypes setup. At 55mph or so you can hear it a little bit, but it's a low amount. On the expressway I hear more road noise than resonance... I can hear it but it's extremely faint, just how it should be. You can hear the engine but it's not overbearing.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
Well, I'll be watching this thread for everyone's responses since my Dynomax turbo style muffs are rotting out. My exhaust is 2 1/4" duals with Dynomax muffs that stop right in front of the rearend and I love the sound. It's quiet at idle and mild at WOT. (not sure what to compare it to) :lol:
My next setup will be 2.5" duals with whatever muffs come close to what I have now. I like relatively quiet WOT passes that will not restrict the engine. 8)

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
I've had good luck with regular magnaflows not droning but they're flippin loud WOT.

A good street exhaust designer will route the pipe so it's got at a gentle bend every 18 -24 inches(ish) whether it needs it or not. Long, straight sections of pipe generate a longer wave pattern that's hard to muffle and is a root cause of drone.

good luck

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I'm looking at the Pypes Race Pros for my 355 Nova. It should be in the low 400 hp range. It has flowmasters on it now, and it just vibrates instead of having a choppy idle.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts