Looking to build upper/lower control arms

A

Anonymous

Hey all,
As the title alludes, I want to build my own control arms using DOM tubing, tube adapters, rod ends/heim joints and MIG weld them all together.

As for the application, here is the basic rundown: The car will be a race-only, not overly exotic sportsman-style 81 Malibu running a 400 SBC with an automatic transmission (probably a powerglide). Going to footbrake the car (no transbrake) and plan on running no faster than 10:00 but in the beginning, more like low 12s, high 11s hopefully working up to low 11s and high 10s. Probably will run a DOT approved slick or radial tire not to exceed 10.5 inches, or whatever will clear with a conservative frame notch. To keep costs down, I am not going to run coilovers, at least not initially, and if I do, I can reevaluate the need for commercially available trailing arms at that point. I may run an anti-roll bar in the future if the need arises.

With all this information in mind, my question for you all is, what I.D. DOM tubing should I use, and more importantly, what wall thickness?

As always, thanks for the help 8)

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Anywhere from 1 1/4" - 1 3/8", .095 to .120 wall should do the trick. Some sizes will be more readily available than others.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts