Loose pushrod after adjusting valves

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Well according to my Snap On tap guide if you're using a 7/16-14 thread wich is what the studs in Jegs calls for you should be able to tap them right out,just be carefull,take your time and use plenty of lubricant,there's some really killer stuff out there called Tap Magic and it is but it is also expensive,you should use a starter tap to start the threads and finish with a bottom tap as you're dealing with a blind hole,you'll probably be way ahead of the game if you clean the oil off the top of your heads and tape off the valve springs and the pushrod holes so all you have exposed is just the row of stud bosses that way you can lube em & tap em and blow the holes out with compressed air,I don't know what the stud kit will call for but you might want to use some Red stud set lock tight on your studs so the holes and the studs will need to be clean and dry,that's all I can think of now,use some good sticky duct tape and maybe get your hands on some masking paper? That ought to keep the shavings out of your engine!!
Good Luck!!

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Many Rocker Studs go into the water/coolant jacket, use Teflon plumbers paste to seal the threads when you install the Studs. 50 ft./lbs. Torque. You could use grease on the Tap to collect the chips. Go very slow if the hole is slightly smaller than suggested for the Tap size.

Steve84EC

Amateur Racer
Aug 29, 2004
Daytona
www.starterupsteve.com
Re: Loose pushrod after adjusting valves, New question

I pulled the stud out today, came out easy with the stud puller and washers. new problem though. The studs I bought, "577RM348", were said to be the replacement stud. I look at them and the top thread is the same, but the total length of the studs is off. The screw in ones are shorter. Is this common for screw in studs? Everywhere I read it said that these screw in studs were the direct replacement. Any help would be appreciated. Don't want to try to use them if they are wrong. My buddy with the tap is coming over friday to fix it for me and I was just trying to get everything ready before hand. Thanks

below is the stud I bought

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Screw-In-Rocker-Studs-3-8-Inch,838.html

Steve84EC

Amateur Racer
Aug 29, 2004
Daytona
www.starterupsteve.com
i measured the studs in the head and the top of the new stud and it looks the same. I'm guessing they don't go as far down as the pressed ones.

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
Since you are repairing only one stud the total height is not as critical as to make sure ...

1) You have enough threads to make a proper valve adjustment
2) If your stud is a little taller that you have plenty of valve cover clearance

Steve84EC

Amateur Racer
Aug 29, 2004
Daytona
www.starterupsteve.com
from looking at it, where the bottom threads end to go into the head, the new stud might be just a very little bit longer then what is exposed on the old studs. Does not look like there will be any clearance problems. thanks

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts