Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Last edited by a moderator:

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Have read on the montecarloss foum that the 3" drop springs for the "A" body are too short and will fall out of the gbody. Anyone ever try the 2" drop "A" body springs in the gbody? Would account for a 3" drop in the gbody supposedly...

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
not sure if this helps but i bought 2"drop springs from opg and when i installed them with a stock length shock i could pull them out on full droop.i just went with a shorter shock.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Those OPG springs, I assume they were for the gbody?? Did you get the full 2" drop then? I've seen those also on OPG's web site. They're alittle more than these, correct? $165 or so.....

I've got, what I believe were Camero drop spring w/large dia. top, they sent a rubber spacer that mounts against the top spring pocket, but not real well. Had to center bolt it in to stay centered. It sits okay but would like to go back to a pig tail both end spring. I trimmed the spring some and is loose at full droop but doesn't fall out.

The fronts are drop springs from who???, trimmed and alittle too low. She sits right at the bump stops. Really no suspension left.

Thanks!!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
they were for an elcamino.they fit nicely in the spring pocket and the insulator etc.i don't have the full weight in the car so i can really say if it did drop the 2".to make matters worse,i put new poly body bushings and it appears to of raised the body vs the stock bushings.i tried to find via part numbe ron opgs site but couldn't find the exact ones i bought.@the time they were $159.95

ldr

Weekend Racer
Jul 4, 2011
Sarcoxie, MO
Hi all, I used the CPP 6035 lowering spring. It dropped the car a full 3" the box said they were 5" drop springs. They have a free standing height of 9". They are to short to fit the car correctly but sure look nice installed. In search of some shocks now.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Reviving an old old post here. Going back and forth with either installing coilovers or strictly springs to find a desirable handling and ride height. Probably over discussed on numerous threads and different forums because of the many different variables involved. Anybody using these Detroit Speed 2" drop springs strictly, without drop spindles?

https://detroitspeed.com/1978-1988-G-Body-Products/031132-dropped-front-springs.html

https://detroitspeed.com/1978-1988-G-Body-Products/041813-dropped-rear-spring-kit.html

Did they work for you as expected? Pictures would be great if ya got em. Thanks!

Steve

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Haven't tried these springs from Detroit Speed in the above post yet. As anyone?

Gotta get something in there soon as the springs I have now have settled more over the winter I guess. I'm on the factory bump stops "hard" now. Had to pull out 3/16" of shims on the right side because the camber went negative???

Poly bushings are good and solid....Frame to ground measurement is 5-3/4" just behind the wheel now.

Thanks

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I haven't used any of those springs, I used Suspension Techniques drop springs and still cut the fronts. Too much... now my r/f tire rubs over big bumps. Plus I'm going to change some front end weight around, I really just want to save up for a Ride-Tech system and be able to simply "adjust" it where I want it whenever I want..... But the wallet still says no LOL

Chevy2410

Weekend Racer
Dec 29, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Reviving an old old post here. Going back and forth with either installing coilovers or strictly springs to find a desirable handling and ride height. Probably over discussed on numerous threads and different forums because of the many different variables involved. Anybody using these Detroit Speed 2" drop springs strictly, without drop spindles?

Did they work for you as expected? Pictures would be great if ya got em. Thanks!

Steve

Hey Steve,

I've got the Detroit Speed rear lowering springs on my car right now. They are the same ones you linked to. They give my car quite a nice look and ride is pretty good too. They are, however, a little pricey. For me they are a vast improvement from the Belltech 1" lowering springs I had in there before. I'll post some picks a bit later.

Chevy

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts