mechanical fuel pump

79sbcmalibu

Amateur Racer
Nov 26, 2009
milford , ct
ok so to start my malibu every morning takes so long i have to pump the gas a bunch of times and keep doing it over and over again till it starts if i got an electric fule pump will this solve my problem and if it will solve my problem wich is a good fuel pump

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Cranking the starter motor for a wile will fill the carb with fuel , Then pump the pedal a few time then it should start and stay running.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Pumping the gas pedal a million times is not going to change no matter what kind of fuel pump you have. You need to get your choke set up properly.

Tommy

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
What carb do you have?
Is fuel staying in the bowl(s) over a long period of sitting?

+1 with Tommy about the choke. 8)

Electric pumps are nice, but it won't make a good bandaid to cover another issue of hard starting.

79sbcmalibu

Amateur Racer
Nov 26, 2009
milford , ct
LS6 Tommy said:
Pumping the gas pedal a million times is not going to change no matter what kind of fuel pump you have. You need to get your choke set up properly.

Tommy
so what do i do with the choke

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
79sbcmalibu said:
LS6 Tommy said:

Tommy

i'd get someone who's experienced with them to set it up for you and show you how to do it down the road if needed.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
grizwald said:
79sbcmalibu said:
LS6 Tommy said:

Tommy

i'd get someone who's experienced with them to set it up for you and show you how to do it down the road if needed.

+1, chokes can be temperamental when adjusting unless it's manual. Then it's on you for the amount of choke being applied.

This may not be any good as for helping you, but it will give you an idea.
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R7948-5.pdf

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
If I were local I'd just come by. It's more of a "best guess starting point" thing than an actual set in stone procedure I could quote to you.

Tommy

79sbcmalibu

Amateur Racer
Nov 26, 2009
milford , ct
ok thanks guys i guess im just going to have to learn it on my own my uncle is really good with this kinda stuff i guess i will have to ask him for some help and learn that way

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts