mechanical injection

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
If you do an alky carb system right....there's actually not much difference, and the toilet may be a little cheaper. You can't skimp on a junk shortblock with a toilet. They make huge torque compared to a carb down low. Throw something together, and it'll throw itself apart.

Yeah, it's easy to change one pill in the toilet, but that's after you get the nozzles right..in relation to the pill, and if the pill changes too much, you're back to nozzles, and make sure you got the right pump the first time, or that changes nozzles and pills...yada,yada,yada. Oh yeah, and don't forget the high speed, or the convertor helper.

My Rupert alky carb got bolted on, and I haven't touched it since.

A

Anonymous

I made the switch and gained .1 without even getting the system tuned. I'm still not tuned yet, going to get that taken care of this spring ( I hope !!!).

A

Anonymous

I agree with tommy air is air the .1 here and there....thats air conditions etc. etc. etc.

a mag recently did several dyno runs with different carbs and efi peak hp was within 5 hp when all tuned in.

one of the things that can help efi make more power over a broader rpm is that it meters fuel more preciesly allowing a 355 to actually use a 1000cfm throtle body due to the fact that a low rpm the efi does a better job delivering fuel. while we all know what happens when you put 1000cfm on top with a carb and punch it .

it pukes lots o air no gas

JUAN W

Dragway Regular
EMcIllece said:
I made the switch and gained .1 without even getting the system tuned. I'm still not tuned yet, going to get that taken care of this spring ( I hope !!!).
My friend did the change at same time than you with a 4 shooter exactly like yours and he gain 3 tenths vs. a gasoline carb.

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
LS6 Tommy said:
540Malibu said:
mech. will make more power providing its tuned properly, the spray mist of alky cools better too.

"Myth Busted" ;)

FI, whether electronic or mechanical, does NOT in itself make more peak power than the same combo would with a properly setup carb system. It MAY have a little bit better drivebility and in the case of electronic systems more consistancy and broader tuning parameters.

Tommy

with gasoline i agree, but with all the extra fuel you need with alky theres no room for air with a carb and then you have to fight with a heavy mixture in the runners, while it may not matter in a WOT drag race, if you need the throttle reponse the carb will be behind. when i dynod my s10 i noticed a 20rwhp difference from flooring it in 3rd, and winding it up in 2nd to build port velocity

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
540Malibu said:
LS6 Tommy said:
540Malibu said:
mech. will make more power providing its tuned properly, the spray mist of alky cools better too.

"Myth Busted" ;)

FI, whether electronic or mechanical, does NOT in itself make more peak power than the same combo would with a properly setup carb system. It MAY have a little bit better drivebility and in the case of electronic systems more consistancy and broader tuning parameters.

Tommy

"with gasoline i agree, but with all the extra fuel you need with alky theres no room for air with a carb..."

If that's the case, you need a bigger carb...

"...when i dynod my s10 i noticed a 20rwhp difference from flooring it in 3rd, and winding it up in 2nd to build port velocity"

Carb's too big in 3rd. If it was a vac sec, it wouldn't do that at all.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

Mech. injection

I ran a 355 sbc and switched from carb/gas to Enderle and Alky and the car picked up .30 or more in the 1/8 mile but let me tell ya, it wasnt there for a while its a whole new learning experience. I would not recommend the mech. injection for street use, but at the track its great..as far as throttle response, mech. inj. is unreal I've never had a carb snap rpm like it will.. If I was rich, I would convert to electronic with the Enderle Birdcatcher set up I have now, that would be the ultimate n/a set up I could think of.. Just my opinion

10 inch tires

Weekend Racer
Jan 12, 2006
Fairfield/Vacaville Ca.
I agree,

Alky injection is the most responsive setup i have ever felt naturally aspirated.

vht

Daily Driver
May 20, 2013
I ran a Ron's set up for yrs. The last season I raced I switched to his terminator. I ran alky and I wouldn't trade the injection for any carb no matter what brand. In 15 yrs I had 1 pump rebuilt, replaced with a bigger pump when I built my 582, 1 set of hoses, and had the toilet updated along with the barrel valve. In my last dragster I went 4.50's in the 1/8. It makes a ton of torq, and revs like crazy. I changed my oil every 4th weekend and it looked like new. That's just my opinion, not trying to sway you in any direction. Talk to James Monroe at Killer Ron's, or Spud Miller at injection Enterprises and they can help you a lot.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!