More 2004r trans swap qestions.................

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
I have an 88 Caprice w/ a good 2004r and was thinking of putting it in my Malibu. The Bu currently has a 350th. So the questions are;

Can the 350th crossmember be modified so I don't have to do the frame extension for a 2004r crossmember?

Driveshaft?

Yoke?

Wiring for the computer for the lock up converter..........what have you guys done?

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
So the yoke on the driveshaft is the same also? How do you use the lockup? Do you have to remember to unlock it when coming to a stop?

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
Bill in NC said:
So the yoke on the driveshaft is the same also? How do you use the lockup? Do you have to remember to unlock it when coming to a stop?
Yes as far as I know. The lockup releases anytime you step on the brake. Its wired into the brake switch. Summit sells the kits.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I dont think the 200-4r or the 700r4 are locked up at low RPM ? The lockup i seen and plan on running on my 81 malibu is a 700r4 that locks up in fourth gear (OD) and unlocks when the transmission gos down to third . The wiring i will be using will only lock or unlock the torque converter for racing or play.The wiring goes to a toggel switch somwere on the dash. ON=locked up in fourth only .OFF= unlocked in all gears.Does this sound right?

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
DOUG213XRJ said:
I don't think the 200-4r or the 700r4 are locked up at low RPM ? The lockup i seen and plan on running on my 81 Malibu is a 700r4 that locks up in fourth gear (OD) and unlocks when the transmission gos down to third . The wiring i will be using will only lock or unlock the torque converter for racing or play.The wiring goes to a toggle switch somewhere on the dash. ON=locked up in fourth only .OFF= unlocked in all gears.Does this sound right?

factory ones will lock in every gear but first. I heard if you have a 700r4 there is something like 20% of fluid going through transmission in forth until converter locks that what you always make sure ya hook um up. and that's why you cant put them in OD at full throttle GM didn't want you to burn trans up.

Dont quote me its just what i remember reading somewhere.

Oh i got 2004r in mine you need cross member and can use same drive shaft just need a TCC kit for converter. i wouldn't use a switch b/c it not to good on trans to not unlock it and stop. We all forget stuff.

A

Anonymous

I have never seen one of these transmissions lock before 50 mph and they unluck below 50 mph

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
doubleomalibu said:
I have never seen one of these transmissions lock before 50 mph and they unlock below 50 mph

mine locks up in my 89 caprice at 25mph you can barely feel it lock but if you drive normal and stay on gas and just tap brake enough to turn brake lights on. you feel the converter lock and unlock.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
:lol: cool.gif

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts