More 2004r trans swap qestions.................

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
t5montecarlo said:
The 200-4R that I removed from my 1986 MCSS only locked up in 4th gear and would lock beginning at 25 mph.

:-k HUH? only lock up in 4th gear.......lock beginning at 25? Am I misreading this? :lol:

It wouldn't shift gears while locked would it? That would seem like a crap load of excessive locking and unlocking at such low speeds while going through the gears.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It would only lock in 4th gear. It would not lock in any other gear. Due to the 3.73 rear, it could shift into 4th gear at very low speeds at a light throttle. The slowest speed at which the converter would lock in 4th gear was 25 mph.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
8)

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I`m not sure about the 200 4R but the 700R4 has switches that can be run or not run that can lock and unlock the converter in every gear but 1st gear.The switches unlock the converter when the rpm drops.So for a split second if i was to slam on the brakes the trans would lug but only for a split second. When i have a 700 built for my 81 malibu it will only lock in 4th.Now if i was building one for a truck to tow a trailer or a car that didn`t have alot of gear i would have it lock in 3rd and 4th so it could pull or cruise in 3rd and not heat up the trans.This is for cars or trucks with out a computer as the cars or trucks with a computers the computer locks and unlocks the transmission.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts