more information on crossmembers

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
I would like to buy a new crossmember for my montecarlo, a have a 350 . what crossmember would you guys recommend and why? I see different mounting ends on these crossmembers,some mount in one factory hole,other mounts in both factory holes but its a tube end. Also has anyone installed X pipe in a g-body?? pro's & con's of doing this????

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i bought a g force boxed tubing style x member. you could run any exhaust you wanted through that. it uses stock mounting locations. check out the links at the top of the page...there are a couple site sponsors that make them at great prices.

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
I bought the IceMan Lightweight crossmember. Works out fine.
I also run an x-pipe, and have no problems with that.
When i had my exhaust system built, i had them install flanges before the rearend, so i can unbolt, and remove the x-pipe. Pulling the driveshaft with an x-pipe can be difficult. Its nice to have the option to remove the entire exhaust in multiple pieces.
Here is a picture of the new crossmember, next to my old hacked one.

Just click the link, the picture was too big to post.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/whitneyambermichael/P4210474.jpg

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
heres my experience with a g-force ,,,mine wouldnt go in because my body mounts were to compressed so i installed the energy suspension body mounts then the g-force went in but was touching the floor on drivers side ,,,, as much as i liked the g-force i didnt want a crushed floor ,,,,so i went with an iceman it was way less $$ and fit without any issues ,,,,i have heard good things about the jegs crossmember ....and theres the old stand by modding the stock crossmember ..... i know i am late in response but figured wth ....

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
79izfine said:
heres my experience with a g-force ,,,mine wouldnt go in because my body mounts were to compressed so i installed the energy suspension body mounts then the g-force went in but was touching the floor on drivers side ,,,, as much as i liked the g-force i didnt want a crushed floor ,,,,so i went with an iceman it was way less $$ and fit without any issues ,,,,i have heard good things about the jegs crossmember ....and theres the old stand by modding the stock crossmember ..... i know i am late in response but figured wth ....

i had the same issues with the g force x member. i was actually ready to sell it cause it wouldn't go in. then one afternoon, i decided to try it again. i put the passenger side up on the frame, then used a floor jack to help the driver's side up on the frame. it did absolutely no damage to the floor. it is touching the floor pan, but is not dented or bent at all.

A

Anonymous

My g-force setup was hitting the floor pans until I changed the body mounts. now I have about a quarter inch of clearance and the transmission is not contacting the tunnel. 8)

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
guess some get lucky ,,,, griz i was concerned with over time when the new body mounts get old and compress it might cause havac besides i paid 166.00 for an iceman and its so much lighter ,,, read here some with bbc drag with the iceman so should be a strong piece i havent had any issues ....

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i don't think you'll have any issues or regrets for getting the iceman x member, based on what i've read about them. in fact, that's what i was going to buy until i stumble upon a deal on this g force one.

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
I purchased Rick's crossmember,installed w/really no issues. The piece is alot lightier than factory , I have 3" exhaust clears fine. It did sag a little but that was good because it was close to driver side floor. IF i can figure out how to post picture i will.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!