Moroso trick rear springs!!!!!!

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I need help!! Trying to get my car to sit lower and hook up more consistantly. Here's the setup Quick performance 9 in rear, stock frame rails, 3.5 in backspace wheels, competition engineering shocks. Now heres the problem got a set of moroso rear springs, and after putting them in the car dropped about 3-4 in. and hits the tire! I rolled the wheel lip but it still too tight. I would like to get the car to sit up about an inch or so. So can a spring spacer be used with these springs? Gonna call moroso this morning and talk to them. Plus the car doesn't really sit level. Anyone else had issues with these springs? Plus I'm starting to think the passenger rear shock might be shot would this affect height? I ran the car some with the factory rear springs and the ce shocks and after only a few passes the right side of the car started to sag some and went to air bags to help but I think it might have ate the shock? Anybody can throw any suggestions or has had the same issues? Thanks Wagondude!!

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i can't believe your car sits that much lower!! you don't have any before and after pics do you? i've got the stock variable rate coils in the back of my car and have been thinking about going to trick springs all the way around...but i don't think i could afford to lose that much ride height in the back...unless the front dropped about the same.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
That sounds really odd that the car dropped that much when you installed the springs. I mean I have heard of them dropping an inch, but not 4! Are you carrying around a 600 pound stereo system in the trunk ;)

You can use a spacer with the springs, but I would try a different set of springs first. The car will lean a little with the trick springs installed.

Night Stalker

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2009
Genoa,Oh
CutlassRacer said:
That sounds really odd that the car dropped that much when you installed the springs. I mean I have heard of them dropping an inch, but not 4! Are you carrying around a 600 pound stereo system in the trunk ;)

I'll have to agree with Cutlassracer,,,,,,,,,,, there's no way a moroso trick spring for the rear with a QP 9" will drop 3-4"..If anything they will rise the rear 3-4 with those rear's as there spring perch's sit higher the normal g-body rear perch's..

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Called Moroso this morning and talked to the tech guy. I didn't mention in my original post that I have a wagon! So when I mentioned it to him he informed me that the springs were made for a regular malibu, and beings how the wagon is heavier in the back it had something to do with it. I didn't measure the difference in ride height but with the original springs the wheel lip was about 2-2.5 in. above the tire on both sides . Now the drivers side is just above the tire and the passenger side is almost on the tire.So i quess it dropped at least 2.5 -3" So i am going to try some spring spacers to get it to the right ride height. Why is it when you make 1 change it usually makes you follow up with 3 more? Well thanks for the help Talk to ya later Tom aka Wagondude ](*,)

Night Stalker

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2009
Genoa,Oh
Malibuwagon80 said:
Called Moroso this morning and talked to the tech guy. I didn't mention in my original post that I have a wagon! So when I mentioned it to him he informed me that the springs were made for a regular malibu, and beings how the wagon is heavier in the back it had something to do with it. I didn't measure the difference in ride height but with the original springs the wheel lip was about 2-2.5 in. above the tire on both sides . Now the drivers side is just above the tire and the passenger side is almost on the tire.So i quess it dropped at least 2.5 -3" So i am going to try some spring spacers to get it to the right ride height. Why is it when you make 1 change it usually makes you follow up with 3 more? Well thanks for the help Talk to ya later Tom aka Wagondude ](*,)

If that is the case,, iwould look into installing a set of air bags into the springs..

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I had airbags in my old springs cause they were getting crappy. I was told not to use airbags with moroso springs cause it would mess up the performance of the springs. Afco makes a spacer thats adjustable that sits on top of the spring that can be adjusted similar to they're shock adjustment setup. But you have to make it the same space on either side so the spring rates will work right. Well I hope it works out!

Fat Rat

Daily Driver
Feb 23, 2009
East Providence, RI
I also have a wagon with the Moroso springs and air bags, but even with all the air out of the bags it's off the tire. Did you use the stock rubber isolaters ? Car launches pretty good for what it is , ZZ-4 with a 2oo-4r and a 4.10 rear (1.80 60ft) If you click on the link you can c how it leaves.

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I don't have air bags in the moroso springs. I had them in my old stock springs. With air bags in the moroso springs it changes the spring rates. On other cars I've worked on it seems moroso springs are very sensitive to the amount of weight you put on them. On a friends malibu we tried 3 different sets of springs for a malibu till we got the right set on the front of the car because he had a merlin block which is heavier than a standard big block. I'm gonna try afco spring spacers which are adjustable for ride height but you have to use the same height on both sides of the car to achieve the correct spring rate so the passenger side of the car is stiffer to take the torque from the motor. Well at least thats what I think I should be doing anyway. For the time being I'm going deer hunting in west virginia and will mess with the car later. I got all winter to figure it out!! ](*,) My 60 ft's are currently 1.55 - 1.65 now trying to get them into the low 1.50 or maybe even the 1.4 area.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts