my 671 blown small block, makes dark blue smoke?

Mr. Blister

Daily Driver
Apr 28, 2008
Southern New Mexico
my blown 355 small block is making allot of dark blue smoke, I checked the plugs, they are clean, oils is clean, water is clean, does anyone know what might be causing the car to smoke so much??? the pistons are low compression forged flat tops.

Fla_G-body

Frequent Racer
Dec 4, 2008
Quincy,Fl.
Does it do it only on start up or what?

Mr. Blister

Daily Driver
Apr 28, 2008
Southern New Mexico
Fla_G-body said:
Does it do it only on start up or what?
it smokes pretty much all the time, I thought it was fuel, although I think not, the heads are bowtie, and the seats and guides should be new, as are the forged pistons, and the rings were file fitted, when i pulled the plugs they were all clean, almost look as if the engine is running too lean, I am running dual blower prepped 750 edelbrocks, with 9 psi of fuel to them ???

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
did the cylinders get the proper hone job for the type of rings and pistons you are using, if not the rings may not have seated properly.

Fla_G-body

Frequent Racer
Dec 4, 2008
Quincy,Fl.
I dont think its a ring problem cuz its not white smoke. You said its blue smoke right? Which would mean to me that its running to rich. Other then smoking how is the car running? You may try tuning the carb. a lil.

sheldonw

Weekend Racer
Apr 13, 2008
9psi to the carbs seems pretty high to me edelbrock usually like about 5.5 - 6 psi maybe your blowing the needle and seats open??

mreese

Amateur Racer
Aug 16, 2007
KILGORE TX
white smoke is water, blue smoke is oil, black smoke is fuel

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Fla_G-body said:
I dont think its a ring problem cuz its not white smoke. You said its blue smoke right? Which would mean to me that its running to rich. Other then smoking how is the car running? You may try tuning the carb. a lil.
if the rings have not seated the oil is going to leak by and blow the nasty blue smoke.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts