My methenol swap progress (Videos inside page 3)

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
Re: My methenol swap progress

Didnt see the above post til this morning. Very disappointing day yesterday. Well I will start at Friday night testing...

First pass stalled at 2000 and launched and it stumbled bad. Next pass stalled at 2500 and it cleared up for the rest of the night that way.

Now saturday, went to the points race and during time trials it stumbled at 2500, tried 3000 and the same thing. well i had already paid so i went into round 1 and stumbled again. oh and not all times but some times will pop back through the carb with a small flame during the stumble curse_sign.gif

now i got in touch with the carb builder this morning and was told to adjust my mixture screws out some and try it if i reach 3 turns out then we need to try other things. well that didnt work so he suggested drilling some blank idle air bleeds he sent to 40 to go smaller than the 55s that are in it now, or drill the squirters to a 52 instead of the 45s that they are currently. Well i can not find these sized bits anywhere... today is a points race too that i will miss

Very frustrating and time is not my friend any other suggestions? lol

rant over

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL

Just curious, who did the carb? Quick Fuel did mine and it was spot on right out of the box. The first night I tested with the methanol the car went 9.93, 9.95, and 9.95 when the previous best on gasoline was 10.17. After tuning a little over the next few weeks the car has been a best so far of 9.79 @ 136. I would have to agree that you have some type of carb issue. You are remembering to close the lean out valve all the way after warming up the motor, right? Also, maybe check for vacuum leaks in the lean out valve system (fittings,etc.) You'll get it figured out, sorry to hear you're having problems. Lee

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas

i dont wanna bash the guy just yet lmao! look in your PMs though its in there somewhere. its a well known company so i am sure it will get worked out. it just sucks that i had to do all this so close to raceday with no time to really get in there and tune on it. i remember what you told me about your QF and im kinda kicking my own butt now but what can ya do. I have 2 weeks and im sure the problems will be resolved fairly quickly...

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL

I just looked at the PM's. He is one of the best for alky carbs, I wouldn't bash him either. Get him on the phone, I'm sure he'll help you through this. He was my second choice. I only picked QF because I have dealt with them on 3 other carbs and liked the guys and the service and product they provide. Until I have an issue with them I will stick with them. You made a good choice with your guy too though. Lee

Night Stalker

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2009
Genoa,Oh

Malibu355 said:
i dont wanna bash the guy just yet lmao! look in your PMs though its in there somewhere. its a well known company so i am sure it will get worked out. it just sucks that i had to do all this so close to raceday with no time to really get in there and tune on it. i remember what you told me about your QF and im kinda kicking my own butt now but what can ya do. I have 2 weeks and im sure the problems will be resolved fairly quickly...

Bad to say but that (your)carb builder is known for not hitting the carb to spec the first time when running alcohol malibu355.. ;) From what you've posted your too rich on a pass for starters,, if you have to turn the mixture screws out 3 turns the carb is dead lean off idle meaning it got the wrong air bleeds installed and WAY to small of a squirter size..

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas

made some changes last night. will fire it today to see how it goes. giving the neighbors enough time to wake up lol.

westexun

Frequent Racer
Dec 27, 2008

I'm by no means an expert and these guys have way more experience with the alky than I do but I have a suggestion. I have a QF p850a on my 468. We fired it in the garage a couple of days ago to check out my new wireing. My buddy noticed it had fuel dripping from one of the front boosters that I hadn't noticed. I rapped the needle and seats with a screwdriver and nothing changed. So, I lowered the needle and seat on the front about three quarters of a turn and it stopped. The idle is cleaner now and I seem to have more control over it with the mixture screws. I can tell you the thing doesn't want to idle or take throttle until it gets some heat in it. The coolant needs to be at least 160 before it cleans up. The fuel level is in the middle of the sight glass now. I have the fuel pressure set at around 7lbs and the idle screws are one and a half turns out. I also have the rear blades just cracked to get some air in it and the timing is locked out . I noticed after I added the start retard that it's a little harder to get fired when it's cold but comes to life fine after warmed up. It takes about a gallon of methanol to get it up to temp but I haven't messed with putting a lean out valve on it since I forgot to punch a hole in the Vic. Jr. and tap it for one. One thing that worried me was when the water reached around 180 it started smoking out of the breathers, it had never done that on gasoline. I assume it's the moisture cooking out of the oil when it gets hot enough. A friend who just started running his motor on alcohol said his brand new motor did the same thing after it had sat for awhile so I guess it's just the nature of the stuff. I know the stuff makes power. Keep at and you'll get her figured out. L.T.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL

True stuff Tex. My secondary blades are cracked open too. Otherwise it gets into transition and draws fuel through the boosters. I run a catch can for the moisture. Dash 10 lines from valve covers to catch can with breather on top of can. I get about an ounce of condensation (water) after each pass. Lee

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas

yep, mine "smokes" out of the breathers as well when warmed up. it will get figured out. some parts are on their way now from the builder. might have this fixed by the middle of next week i hope.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts